Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashworthiness Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:08 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Crashworthiness Test Video

I came across this video this evening... thought it would be interesting to share in this forum:

Vehicle details

Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

So we'll live but our left leg is likely to be broken

Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

man, I was worried about machines and robots taking all the good jobs, but it looks like they used some kind of dummy to take that one.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd like to see the same test with an RTE, ARB, etc bumper.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

That's pretty good considering the body and major structural components were developed and designed for the 1989 model year.

I'm not aware that anyone tests aftermarket 4x4 bumpers. I read anecdotal evidence that ARB tests, but no details how. The IIHS advocates that all vehicles be required to have the same kind of bumpers at the same height (about 19 inches) so the bumpers are compatible in a collision.

In my mind, it is better the enjoy the freedom to have a heavy steel bumper that can be used for recovery and at a height that limits approach angle minimally. However, we should be aware of how much more dangerous a lifted vehicle with heavy steel bumpers is to the occupants of other cars. It greatly increases the damage we can do to property and people.

Although I do not have test evidence, empirically, I do not believe the heavy plate and tube steel bumpers improve safety for the occupants of the equipped vehicle. They do poorly at absorbing energy, which means more energy is transferred to the occupants rather than absorbed by deforming the front of the vehicle. They also add weight forward and rearward of the front and rear axles respectively, which decreases the vehicle's stability and affects handling negatively. Additionally, the extra mass decreases braking performance.

Because of negative effect heavy steel bumpers have for you and for others, it makes sense to reconsider the use of a vehicle so equipped when it's not necessary. If you just use your car to commute in the city, consider not lifting it and not putting on a big bull-bar bumper, and if you do, consider having another vehicle for driving that doesn't take you offroad. When you do drive your off-road equipped 4x4, be mindful of the increased danger it poses, drive carefully, and carry plenty of liability insurance whether you get it from an institution or self-insure.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
That's pretty good considering the body and major structural components were developed and designed for the 1989 model year.

I'm not aware that anyone tests aftermarket 4x4 bumpers. I read anecdotal evidence that ARB tests, but no details how. The IIHS advocates that all vehicles be required to have the same kind of bumpers at the same height (about 19 inches) so the bumpers are compatible in a collision.

In my mind, it is better the enjoy the freedom to have a heavy steel bumper that can be used for recovery and at a height that limits approach angle minimally. However, we should be aware of how much more dangerous a lifted vehicle with heavy steel bumpers is to the occupants of other cars. It greatly increases the damage we can do to property and people.

Although I do not have test evidence, empirically, I do not believe the heavy plate and tube steel bumpers improve safety for the occupants of the equipped vehicle. They do poorly at absorbing energy, which means more energy is transferred to the occupants rather than absorbed by deforming the front of the vehicle. They also add weight forward and rearward of the front and rear axles respectively, which decreases the vehicle's stability and affects handling negatively. Additionally, the extra mass decreases braking performance.

Because of negative effect heavy steel bumpers have for you and for others, it makes sense to reconsider the use of a vehicle so equipped when it's not necessary. If you just use your car to commute in the city, consider not lifting it and not putting on a big bull-bar bumper, and if you do, consider having another vehicle for driving that doesn't take you offroad. When you do drive your off-road equipped 4x4, be mindful of the increased danger it poses, drive carefully, and carry plenty of liability insurance whether you get it from an institution or self-insure.
X1 100% bad news on tarmac pavement for everyone involved just like the old Series LR's in an impact. Modern = bumper crumple zones and air bags - saves lives and limbs.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

So it's inappropriate that I have one of these on the front and back of my 110?

You are my Crumple Zone!!! Bumper Sticker | Zazzle

Old 12-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
So it's inappropriate that I have one of these on the front and back of my 110?

You are my Crumple Zone!!! Bumper Sticker | Zazzle
What, a sticker (bad boy) or an ARB bumper?. The 110 uses a girder bumper like the Series in any case so no crumple zone only unless you run into a teddy bear

Old 12-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

I try to aim for prius's they look soft and fluffy.

On the 110 I have a TerraFirma winch bumper. I know for a fact it will crumple a deer without a scratch.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 12-29-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:03 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
So we'll live but our left leg is likely to be broken

Not if your short enough like Spike555 and myself ^^ I have plenty of clearance between my knees and the dash! I swear the Disco 1 and 2 were designed with short people in mind. Im 5 feet 2 inches so its a perfect fit. Never bang my head when entering either hehe

Quick Reply: Crashworthiness Test Video