Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashworthiness Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014 | 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

I swear all vehicles were manufactured with short people in mind.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (01-01-2015)
Old 12-29-2014 | 10:16 PM
Mudding

I've seen the poor rating on the left leg before...makes me sad for my poor left leg if I ever get in a bad one. I wonder how a disco would hold up to a side impact??

I can attest to how well a D2 holds up to a serious rear end collision. My old 2000 DII was smashed into by a ford f150 several years ago. I was at a stop light on a 55mph road. I had time to think OH S#%&!....BOOM! It rang my bell pretty good, but I hit the fuel reset button and drove her home after all the paperwork was done. The F150 was without a doubt totaled. The front end was completely gone, cab had wrinkle damage, engine and I believe tranny were on the ground. I picked up a peice of moon roof glass about 10 ft in front of my car and then realized it wasn't one of mine...it was the F150's.

It was really quite amazing how very little it intruded into the passenger area on my Disco. If there would have been anyone in the rear jumpseats, they would have needed to change their pants and would have been covered in glass but the rear door would not have been in contact with those seats. The police seemed confused about the lack of damage to my vehicle. The other driver was very concerned because of how fast he knew he hit me. On the secondary impact (when I landed back in my seat) I broke the seat frame...gave it a very permanent recline, and I smashed my knees into the dash a bit. And pretty much broke a little bit of everything else on the disco....motor/tranny mounts, fuel tank sending unit, most plastic trim clips on the interior were snapped, sprung the frame rail, my seat, etc, etc.

I came away from that one with two thoughts.... 1) was pretty damn lucky to not be more than slightly sore and bruised. 2) Disco's ARE built like a tank. I wish I could find the photos...you'd swear I was hit by someone MAYBE going 20mph.

Old 12-30-2014 | 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I try to aim for prius's they look soft and fluffy.

On the 110 I have a TerraFirma winch bumper. I know for a fact it will crumple a deer without a scratch.
Then think of all those woosy film celebs you can target wearing their prius fashion accessory around them

Old 12-30-2014 | 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Not if your short enough like Spike555 and myself ^^ I have plenty of clearance between my knees and the dash! I swear the Disco 1 and 2 were designed with short people in mind. Im 5 feet 2 inches so its a perfect fit. Never bang my head when entering either hehe
You're damn right TRIARRII, I am 5'6" and drive with the seat fully back and highest position so how the tall guys, 6'+ cope I'll never know.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (01-01-2015)
Old 12-30-2014 | 03:09 AM

You're right stb616, I saw a Range Rover Sport barrel rolled twice on the M6 motorway in the UK, the occupants were pretty battered and bruised by otherwise unharmed at 70mph accident and the recovery guys drove the truck off the highway onto the sliproad. Part luck and part good strong truck. I know what I'd like to be in an accident and it ain't a prius

Old 12-30-2014 | 06:03 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
You're damn right TRIARRII, I am 5'6" and drive with the seat fully back and highest position so how the tall guys, 6'+ cope I'll never know.

I'm 6'1 and have always loved driving a Disco. Very true that my knees are doomed if I'm ever in a bad accident.

The only thing I don't like about driving one is my line of sight at a traffic light.....I can't see the stupid traffic lights unless I bend my neck and "look under" the roof line. I've always hated that about driving these.

Old 12-30-2014 | 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by stb616
I'm 6'1 and have always loved driving a Disco. Very true that my knees are doomed if I'm ever in a bad accident.

The only thing I don't like about driving one is my line of sight at a traffic light.....I can't see the stupid traffic lights unless I bend my neck and "look under" the roof line. I've always hated that about driving these.
A pal who owned a garage in the UK and did my servicing was 6'2" and 300+lbs and he said the driving position was too 'snug' for him. He owned a big Landcruiser so I suppose it was snug by comparison.

Old 12-30-2014 | 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

5'7" and I've always thought LR's had a great driving position and were very comfortable.

Old 12-30-2014 | 07:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by stb616

Glad I'm not the only one, it drives me nuts. That and the rearview mirror is right in my line of sight rather than slightly higher and creates a blind spot looking forward.

Old 12-30-2014 | 08:33 PM
Winching

I'm well under 6' and light so I fit fine, but I do wish some of the design features of the Discovery had been exaggerated further in successive iterations. Speaking strictly of body features, I think taller windows all around would be great, while keeping the sill height as low as possible. I'd also like the panoramic sunroof. I also wish they had made a LHD version of the rear door so the window dipped on the side opposite the driver as it should (see LR3), but with the spare occupying the space behind the driver and the door opening to the left side (because spare under the car is unacceptable). I do like the spare location on the RRC, but would need it to accommodate at least a 33. But increased front and rear overhang is unacceptable.