Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Crazy High Idle - Thursday night - please help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/crazy-high-idle-thursday-night-please-help-94088/)

KernowDiscovery 03-28-2019 06:40 PM

Crazy High Idle - Thursday night - please help

Hi guys and gals,

Just trying to start up the Rover after five months of sitting during the harsh Michigan winter. I'm at work right now and jump started my Rover only to blow major cobwebs out of the system and listen to her scream. It is CRAZY Possessed. I'll go thru the threads right now and see what I can find but am hoping someone may be able to chime in. A plume of smoke permeated the neighborhood and she is SO loud and ornery. Is there anyone around that can help me deduce what the issue is? I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Christina

KernowDiscovery 03-28-2019 06:44 PM

So... looks like it can be MAF needing cleaning, IACV, throttle body, plugs... dang. Think I'll pack up my ****e and go home for the night. Poor Bertha. I'm a horrible owner.

redwhitekat 03-28-2019 07:07 PM

She’s screaming at you because I left her so long

KernowDiscovery 03-28-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by redwhitekat (Post 685239)
She’s screaming at you because I left her so long

Ya think? I don't know if I should curse or cry.

Best4x4 03-28-2019 07:10 PM

I honestly have yet to ever clean a MAF on a D2. I’ve replaced maybe 2 bad ones in all the years of messing with em. IAC, TB, and fresh fuel are good places to start. Also check the air box for any nest blocking the air flow into the engine.

KernowDiscovery 03-28-2019 07:19 PM

Thanks Best4x4 for the input.

Fresh fuel... just add to the old or get a turkey baster and pull the old fuel out? :dunno:

Something tells me it's the TB - women's intuition or something. Wishful thinking? And I'll check the air box for a mouse nest blocking air while I'm at it. Some people are curious - I just feel like an ass. One woman and 2 cars with the hoods up in an office park. Sounds like the start to a song :laugh:

I'm trying to laugh, really I am. I don't even know how to adjust a throttle body. How do they get stuck anyway?

Best4x4 03-28-2019 07:27 PM

If it started I’d let it run for a few and see if the idle calms down. TB wise make sure the cables going to it aren’t jammed over an AC line. I’ve seen that a few times & caused a massively high idle. Probably just carbon deposits that came loose while sitting blowing out the exhaust.

how much fuel was left in it?

KernowDiscovery 03-28-2019 07:42 PM

I didn't check but at least 1/4 of a tank. I probably should have looked at it but in all honesty I picked it up last fall after having the front cover replaced and parked it. It needs a new ball joint and the transfer case resealed so I figured I'd do it in stages. Almost five months later, after a harsh winter, I'm ready to get it going.

I've heard it sound horrible before but this was the stuff of nightmares haha. Seriously. I have had dreams before of driving Bertha and the pedal getting stuck down and not being able to stop (really out of control) and that is what it felt like tonight. I actually checked the pedal to see if something was jamming it. Just a screaming idle, fast, loud, with dark exhaust. I understand that it could be carbon deposits but I was worried that I may actually do more harm by keeping it running at that high of an idle for too long?

KernowDiscovery 03-28-2019 07:43 PM

thanks again - I'll check the air conditioning lines as well. Probably tomorrow night when everyone leaves work haha. I just hope I don't do any additional damage by leaving it running. It didn't sound like it was going to calm down anytime soon...

Best4x4 03-28-2019 08:07 PM

If you didn’t have an oil light on I doubt anything was being damaged.