Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy High Idle - Thursday night - please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Crazy High Idle - Thursday night - please help

Hi guys and gals,

Just trying to start up the Rover after five months of sitting during the harsh Michigan winter. I'm at work right now and jump started my Rover only to blow major cobwebs out of the system and listen to her scream. It is CRAZY Possessed. I'll go thru the threads right now and see what I can find but am hoping someone may be able to chime in. A plume of smoke permeated the neighborhood and she is SO loud and ornery. Is there anyone around that can help me deduce what the issue is? I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Christina

Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So... looks like it can be MAF needing cleaning, IACV, throttle body, plugs... dang. Think I'll pack up my ****e and go home for the night. Poor Bertha. I'm a horrible owner.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

She’s screaming at you because I left her so long

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
She’s screaming at you because I left her so long
Ya think? I don't know if I should curse or cry.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I honestly have yet to ever clean a MAF on a D2. I’ve replaced maybe 2 bad ones in all the years of messing with em. IAC, TB, and fresh fuel are good places to start. Also check the air box for any nest blocking the air flow into the engine.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Best4x4 for the input.

Fresh fuel... just add to the old or get a turkey baster and pull the old fuel out?

Something tells me it's the TB - women's intuition or something. Wishful thinking? And I'll check the air box for a mouse nest blocking air while I'm at it. Some people are curious - I just feel like an ***. One woman and 2 cars with the hoods up in an office park. Sounds like the start to a song

I'm trying to laugh, really I am. I don't even know how to adjust a throttle body. How do they get stuck anyway?

Old 03-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

If it started I’d let it run for a few and see if the idle calms down. TB wise make sure the cables going to it aren’t jammed over an AC line. I’ve seen that a few times & caused a massively high idle. Probably just carbon deposits that came loose while sitting blowing out the exhaust.

how much fuel was left in it?

Old 03-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I didn't check but at least 1/4 of a tank. I probably should have looked at it but in all honesty I picked it up last fall after having the front cover replaced and parked it. It needs a new ball joint and the transfer case resealed so I figured I'd do it in stages. Almost five months later, after a harsh winter, I'm ready to get it going.

I've heard it sound horrible before but this was the stuff of nightmares haha. Seriously. I have had dreams before of driving Bertha and the pedal getting stuck down and not being able to stop (really out of control) and that is what it felt like tonight. I actually checked the pedal to see if something was jamming it. Just a screaming idle, fast, loud, with dark exhaust. I understand that it could be carbon deposits but I was worried that I may actually do more harm by keeping it running at that high of an idle for too long?

Old 03-28-2019, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks again - I'll check the air conditioning lines as well. Probably tomorrow night when everyone leaves work haha. I just hope I don't do any additional damage by leaving it running. It didn't sound like it was going to calm down anytime soon...

Old 03-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you didn’t have an oil light on I doubt anything was being damaged.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Crazy High Idle - Thursday night - please help