Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Country road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile Cross Country road trip

I may be nuts, based on the reactions I get from people when I tell them, but I have been planning a road trip from NJ out to Moab, Utah for the upcoming Rover Rally next month.(4000 miles total)
Since the event was cancelled last year, I have had this trip in mind for quite some time and have spent a great deal of effort prepping my already reliable 2004 D2. I am the second owner, full records since new. Its in very good condition and has only left me stranded once with a bad alternator in VT.

I've focused on the cooling system with all the usual upgrades, replacements and maintenance. I always fix anything when it's due and it has been my daily driver for years. New coil packs, wires, plugs, filters, greaseable driveshafts etc etc.
So am I nuts for taking this trip? I never had any doubts about the trip, but the more I mention it to people in conversation the more I second guess myself. I suspect the average Joe follows the notion that LR's are unreliable and the thought of taking a long trip in anything but a Honda or Toyota is risky. Heck, I did a cross country trip 10 years ago in a 45 year old MG with no problems!
I'll be taking a few spares including a belt, CPS, alternator, coolant, full tool kit and a AAA card. I'm not sure what if any relays I should worry about failing (fuel pump?). Anything else suggested?

Is it worth while to have a CB radio for such a trip...not sure they are still relevant in this day and age?

I'll be generally following I-80, with options to hop off and follow some more local, parallel 2 lanes as boredom dictates to keep things interesting. I'm retired so I'm in no rush and I plan a few sightseeing stops along the way
What say ye?

Old 08-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Do not see why you would not, while it is 18 years old and things could break, you have done the maintance. But ask yourself this do you do 4000 plus miles a year with no major incidents if so drive it.

My only suggestion check the diff and transfer case levels before going, and if you have not done it get the fluids changed.

Drive have fun tell us how it went.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Pete,

Check out this thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...railer-107436/
That should cover the bases for ya.

Have a great trip!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

We drove our green disco from Denver, CO to DC last winter for the holidays and it did great. If everything is up to snuff maintenance wise just make sure to have spare fluids...and make sure your spare is in good shape. I'm thinking about heading to the rally but didn't register so wouldn't be doing any of the big group rides which is totally fine by me.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

I just did a WA to CO road trip via Moab (~3000 miles round trip) in my '99. From what you describe it sounds like you've got your bases covered. Have a great trip and be sure to let us know how it goes!

Old 08-04-2021, 10:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Go for it. I bought my 04 sight unseen and drove it 850 miles back to KC after a 1/2 hour test drive. No problems even through Nebraska in July at 95+ deg. My opinion is they are more reliable than they get credit for if maintained properly. Might get AAA towing to help with "what if" anxiety.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

We just finished a 2600 mile trip to Yellowstone and back in a '03, cruise control quit working but other than that went great. However I have an LS Swap

Old 08-04-2021, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Highway driving is far less stressful on a vehicle vs stop n go type driving. I'd load up any of my LR's for a road trip. You should always carry a few spares & tools no matter what you are driving. Do an oil change, check all fluids, and go have fun!

Old 08-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

do it.

you're not crazy and it looks like you are on top of all the maintenance.

i have taken one of my '04's from St. Louis, MO to Folly Beach, South Carolina and back. no issues.

i took both my '04's to central Colorado a year or two back and they did great.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I've gone from Washington to Idaho to Montana to Wyoming and back in my 03. Biggest issue was an aftermarket mud guard failing in high temperatures.

Had four people, big dog, bikes, two huge cargo bags on the roof. Saw over 100' F and below freezing. Lots of mountain passes. Mine is lifted and bigger tires plus a full length rack.

Prior to the trip I changed the diffs, transmission, coolant, and engine oil.

Took with me tools, CPS, coolant, thermostat, and an oil filter to be ready. Used the tools to take the mud flaps off and the oil filter at 3000 miles. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Quick Reply: Cross Country road trip