Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control help. Pictures attached.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 10:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control help. Pictures attached.

Hi everyone! Promise this isn’t another “my cc doesn’t work what now” .

*I checked rave

*I checked forums like crazy and a lot of topics but I had a question based on a few pics I took.

so I click the button on dash, lights orange but then after clicking set button nothing happens.

so I know the vacuum hoses tend to go bad, was the main resolution.

problem is I couldn’t find diagrams showcasing the vacuum in a d2 and a lot of misinformation stating it goes to the brake pedal. But with d2s they don’t correct?

anyway, so this pic it looks like a hose coming from bottom of motor was slashed. Below the yellow nipple. Is that the vacuum hose? (Yellow circle )

also the wires in the red seem to be “cut” as well. Can someone help with that in letting me know what that is ?

just seems like a mess there, someone cut or did something and I’m at at a loss of the actual set up. That hose in the yellow cut and one in red?

good news is the hose from the pump nicely goes to the cables.

ty all so much.

Last edited by Garrett Larrow; 11-20-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

There is really ONE vacuum line that is an issue on D2's. It goes around from one side of the pump to the actuator that pulls the throttle cable. It's not a mess of vacuum lines. Pic didn't come thru - can you re up load?

Old 11-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench

And correct there is NO vacuum line to inside the car and NO vacuum line to the brake pedal on the D2. I read a lot of posts on forums when I was fixing mine that confused me too with people completely getting D1 / D2 cruise systems confused (disco mike mainly).

Old 11-20-2020, 12:31 PM
Drifting

Thanks for reply.

here are images.

appreciate help.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Or also perhaps that part (in yellow) that’s hanging off is supposed to attach to that nipple?

Old 11-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Don't think so. There's a broken vacuum line down there on your pump. On the left side of your picture (below). See images.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Don't think so. There's a broken vacuum line down there on your pump. On the left side of your picture (below). See images.

thank you! Added and clamped down. Still no working.

one question before I test motor.

I see that the throttle lines may be reversed on mine? Perhaps someone worked on them and reversed them.

on my disco the throttle line towards the back of the engine goes into the cruise control pump.

the throttle line closest to the headlights wraps around and goes to the throttle / pedal.

seems like in all videos I watched, they are in reverse of what my two cables are.

does that matter? Should I switch?

pics attached.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

The orientation of the cables should not prevent the cruise from working, and as long as they are adjusted in spec I doubt it's a problem from any angle. Have you checked all your fuses? Also, another oddity that probably doesn't matter is that certain high line radios will prevent the cruise from working reliably due to how they interface with the amp and how the volume/speed thing works. You can search here to find out more. I bought a spare radio from a forum member and the cruise would not stay engaged, cutting out every few minutes, which is a different problem to what you are experiencing but I thought I'd mention it. I put the old radio back in and the the cruise was fine again. Finally, are you pulling the switch towards you when trying to engage the cruise? It's opposite of the radio controls and completely unintuitive. You would not be the first or the last to be pushing the button and not having the cruise respond.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ahab
The orientation of the cables should not prevent the cruise from working, and as long as they are adjusted in spec I doubt it's a problem from any angle. Have you checked all your fuses? Also, another oddity that probably doesn't matter is that certain high line radios will prevent the cruise from working reliably due to how they interface with the amp and how the volume/speed thing works. You can search here to find out more. I bought a spare radio from a forum member and the cruise would not stay engaged, cutting out every few minutes, which is a different problem to what you are experiencing but I thought I'd mention it. I put the old radio back in and the the cruise was fine again. Finally, are you pulling the switch towards you when trying to engage the cruise? It's opposite of the radio controls and completely unintuitive. You would not be the first or the last to be pushing the button and not having the cruise respond.
thanks for the advice and input.

wish it were the radio but never has worked since I purchased :/.

I checked a fuse I found for cruise in a disco 2 manual. F30 I believe and it was fine.

Are there more fuses to check? My horn and brake lights work.

guess I can test the motor for the cc. But I have to research how exactly to do so.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Hmm. Darn.

Yes the throttle cables do look reversed and I'd try to swap them to correct orientation. Length of throttle cables IS important even though I would think if it were properly adjust it would not matter one bit but... maybe it's binding or something odd.

In your original pic in the red circle you mentioned that perhaps wires have been cut. But I'm not sure - I think I can see them wrapping around (incorrectly) and rubbing on the metal cruise pump bracket. I'd definitely unplug/replug in the cruise pump wiring harness to make sure it's seated properly, check for rubbing on the bracket/shorted wires at that point where the wires wrap around the sheet metal bracket back to the pump, and look for green corrosion on the wiring plug. If you want to take more pics of the wiring glad to help.

I would say it's a *good* sign that the orange light on the switch lights up.

ANOTHER IDEA -- If your center brake lamp is out, or shorted, or your brake lights or brake light switch aren't operating properly (easy to check with a helper) you can also have cruise control issues. I'm just remembering that I had this issue. Check all that. Easy to check.

Re: fuses... I think these are all the relevant ones

1) Check fuse 16
2) Check fusible link 8 (engine compartment fusebox)
3) Fuse 30

Do you have the Electrical diagrams PDF, the Electrical Library PDF and the RAVE PDF book? PM me I can send to you via email if you need them. They help me lots.

Quick Reply: Cruise control help. Pictures attached.