Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009 | 09:04 AM
|
8th Gear
Question Cruise control problems

What are some possibilities for why the cruise control doesn't work on my 97' Disco? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-11-2009 | 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Next to the brake master cylinder under the hood should be a plastic "T" fitting with vacuum hoses going in 3 directions, one going through the firewall. Trace each one to the end and make sure they are all connected and in good shape(no leaks). Thats usually 90% of most that don't work.

Old 07-11-2009 | 09:32 AM
TReK

Check all the vacuum hoses for cracks. Don't forget to get under the dash and check the line going to the brake pedal switch. Spraying all the connections with something like liquid tape helps seal them and keep them from leaking.

Search the site for a test procedure on how to verify the cruise components are working. I believe Rover Chris has been through the testing and could help walk you through it.

Old 07-11-2009 | 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling

maybe a clockspring? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-11-2009 | 08:12 PM
TReK

Possible but not likely. D1 cruise problems are generally either vacuum leaks or bad ECUs.

Old 07-11-2009 | 10:41 PM
Winching

You never know... mine was a combination of problems. Rotary coupler/clockspring was bad (I knew because the horn didn't work and the SRS light was on) missing vacuum hoses, missing vacuum "T", bad dump valve on the vacuum pump, and bad cruise ECU. Some time ago I posted a step-by-step procedure on checking the cruise ECU on a Disco 1. If you do a search, you'll find it.

Eric

Old 07-11-2009 | 10:56 PM
TReK

As I said, the clockspring is possible. Any of the components in the system could have failed.

I finally got motivated enough to look at my cruise control to find why it quit working. When I bought the truck the cruise didn't work so the dealer looked at it and found the master switch was bad and the line coming off the diaphragm at the throttle body was cracked. He fixed that and it was intermittent. Then I replaced the vacuum pump which didn't change anything, still intermittent until it finally quit working again. Bought a used ECU from Roverlandparts and that fixed until about 3 weeks. Today I found the problem. The vacuum line going from the T to the diaphragm had cracked again. I cut off the split part and put it back on (because I was too lazy to go get a new hose) and I now have cruise control again.

Old 07-12-2009 | 04:30 PM
|
8th Gear

Actually my horn doesn't work either and my SRS light is on.

Old 07-12-2009 | 05:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Prevention91
Actually my horn doesn't work either and my SRS light is on.
Sounds like a fuse.

Old 07-12-2009 | 08:23 PM
Winching

If it is the rotary coupler, it's easy to replace. You can get a good used one from Roverland.. just make sure you centralize it when you put it back on.

Eric

Quick Reply: Cruise control problems