Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Cruise control vacuum pipes? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/cruise-control-vacuum-pipes-84666/)

Patrick Duffy 06-16-2017 08:38 PM

Cruise control vacuum pipes?

Hi - i have LH Drive V8. On the passenger side is the cruise control unit. There are 2 vacuum pipe spigots on the underside, one white and one black. Just one rotten piece of tube remained. I can find nothing going back to any point. I do have one vacuum tube coming of the brake servo which is continuous - no T points or joints. That runs to the top of the engine to draw vacuum pressure.

What do I need to run new tubing to please?

dgi 07 06-16-2017 10:08 PM

I'll post a picture in the morning if this doesn't help
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...dca9cb88b8.png

mollusc 06-17-2017 06:36 AM

The cruise control unit is its own vacuum pump, so it doesn't need any connection to the engine vacuum.
As the diagram above shows, there should be two pipes associated with the unit: one loops around from the bottom where the vacuum is drawn to another port further up the unit, and the other goes to the bellows that pulls on the second throttle cable.

Patrick Duffy 06-17-2017 01:58 PM

Thank you!

Originally Posted by mollusc (Post 609048)
The cruise control unit is its own vacuum pump, so it doesn't need any connection to the engine vacuum.
As the diagram above shows, there should be two pipes associated with the unit: one loops around from the bottom where the vacuum is drawn to another port further up the unit, and the other goes to the bellows that pulls on the second throttle cable.

I have the Rave manual but there was nothing showing the tube layout. From other posts they referenced a tube back to the brake pedal with a T Piece in it and there is nothing like that there.

I will get this done in the next week and report back! Just then got to get the aircon charged and the windscreen washer system feed replaced! And then there is repairing the ABS, again! Took the back seats out for room for camping with the dogs - up to Glacier Nat Park in August whilst there are still glaciers there!

mollusc 06-17-2017 02:02 PM

You don't say the year of your D2, but my '99 does not have any vacuum lines going anywhere other than what I describe, and the cruise control works fine. I believe that the vacuum dump function formerly handled by the line to the brake pedal is now handled electronically.
From memory, there is a flanged port on the bottom of the cruise control unit that does NOT have a vacuum line on it -- it's a breather port.

mln01 06-18-2017 08:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
That's correct, no DII uses engine vacuum for cruise control.

The who's that failed on mine is the one that, as mollusk says, runs from the back of the bellows that pulls on the second throttle cable. It loops up and then down and then loops again underneath the unit to attach as shown in my pictures.

Two other short hoses, one from each of the white and black ports on the bottom of the unit, run to other ports next to the electrical connector, again as pictured.

Patrick Duffy 06-18-2017 10:42 AM

Thanks again for the replies!

Those photos really useful. I will get some hose today and hopefully it will be fixed.

The_OGCJR 01-27-2019 09:24 AM

Old post bump...Patrick, did you ever get yours fixed? I bumped this thread because the other threads on this incorrectly talk about a vacuum line from the brake pedal...which doesn't exist.

I have same problems except my vacuum lines on the pump are not damaged.

Dave03S 01-27-2019 10:28 AM

P38's have the brake pedal vacuum line. Not sure why the confusion. However that is a different design with the bellows over by the master cylinder on the drivers side (LHD.)

Kdscott10 05-12-2020 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mln01 (Post 609130)
That's correct, no DII uses engine vacuum for cruise control.

The who's that failed on mine is the one that, as mollusk says, runs from the back of the bellows that pulls on the second throttle cable. It loops up and then down and then loops again underneath the unit to attach as shown in my pictures.

Two other short hoses, one from each of the white and black ports on the bottom of the unit, run to other ports next to the electrical connector, again as pictured.

thanks. So we are looking at three hoses? I found the looping hose to be broken so now I will have to replace the other short hoses so cover off vacuum problems. Thanks
​​​​​​