Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious Discovery (no pun intended)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious Discovery (no pun intended)

Hello Board,

Just to bring everyone quickly up to speed; I bought an '01 Disco about a month ago, my first LR. 55K original miles, great shape in and out...no records, but based on my mechanical experience, it seems to be in good shape.

I have almost completed the 60K service and have done plugs/wires and rebuilt the front PS. I have no codes and I've driven the truck about 1000 miles and it's been perfect, getting just under 15mpg with mostly city driving. Here's the curious part;

When I finally got around to the new plates on the truck just an hour ago, I noticed that the plate screws were rusty (unusual here in Texas) and I really wanted to clean them up. I wire brushed them and hit them with a little black paint, and they look great. I'm sitting here surfing the web, just wiped my nose...and I smell...anti-freeze. Hmmmm...

Then, I recall when do my inspection and in replacing my plug wires...I noticed that my steering box was unusually rusted...a nice coating of light tan rust, but nothing else seemed to be.

Could this truck have had an overheating episode at some point? A blown headgasket? FWIW...The tailpipe is clean...there is no water in the oil, or vice versa...there are no issues at all. But...curiously....the coolant (dexcool) is new, and now that I think about it...the upper radiator hose AND coolant resvoir look remarkably fresh.

And the engine...the engine is remarkably devoid of leaks, save for just a little around the rocker covers...and the bolts were not much more than finger tight...

Hmmmmm.....

Inquiring minds and all that....

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Pretty low mileage to have had very many issues, but the 60k service is a good move. Go and put some miles on it and if there's anything lurking under the hood.....it'll show up soon enough. Good luck and welcome !