Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyl 4 & 7 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014 | 08:09 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Cyl 4 & 7 misfire

2003 Disco had misfire on cyl 4 & 7.
Coil pack had crack in epoxy between 4 and 7. See picture!
Found PO only had top two screws holding coil in place. The coil I found installed was slightly too big to fit properly in the bracket. I think the PO must have tried to crank down all 4 screws to make the coil sit flush in the bracket and cracked it.
I replaced both coils with Bosch that do sit flush in the bracket, new magnicor 8mm wires and new plugs.
I still have misfires on 4 & 7!
Now I'm wondering why the PO replaced that coil in the first place?

Attached Thumbnails Cyl 4 & 7 misfire-img_7213.jpg  
Old 09-01-2014 | 08:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The #4 and #7 wires are on the same coil and right along the crack in the picture, so I assume that the PO thought that the misfires were related to a bad coil and they tried to fix it by replacing it.

The crack in the coil would point to a likely cause of the 4 and 7 misfires. Did you replace the coil with a new or used one?

Are you sure you didn't mix up the 7 and 4 wires? They are right next to each other on the coil so it is possible you simple ran them the wrong way. In the picture the wires appear to be going the correct direction but I would just double check.

Did you clear the codes after the repair or are you just waiting for them to clear on there own?

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-01-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2014 | 11:04 AM
Mudding

I agree with everything Jared said. Make sure you are following the wire diagram from the RAVE not whatever the PO did.

Old 09-02-2014 | 06:42 AM
|
Three Wheeling

I did clear the codes after replacing with new coils, new wires, and new plugs.
I used two new Bosch coils and I was very careful to follow the rave diagram. I will try to check the wires again.

Old 09-02-2014 | 10:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Are you getting any other codes besides the 4 and 7 misfire?

You can try and check for arcing in the wires with a spray bottle. If you do it at night it might be easier to spot the arcing if there is any. With new wires I doubt this is the problem but it's cheap and worth a try.

I suppose that you could have 2 plugged up injectors but the odds of 2 being plugged is very low in my opinion. You can try and do a good fuel injector cleaning that may help. I would recommend the kind you hookup directly to the fuel rail schrader valve if you don't want to pull the upper manifold and pull the injectors.

This is kind of a hail mary, but you may also want to check the front O2 sensor multiplugs for oil in them. Leaking valve cover gaskets dip right on the plugs and I've heard that oil in the O2 plugs can cause all kinds of issues.

Old 09-02-2014 | 10:51 AM
Baja

new coils, new wires and new plugs either you have the wires crossed or its time to start looking at other causes.

Old 09-03-2014 | 07:04 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Fuel Rail Schrader valve thread size?

Was about to try to clean my injectors tonight. I ordered a schrader valve part number 549578 as called out for Landrover in the OTC fuel injector adaptor table. I was about to go hook it up but the adapter is the wrong size for my schrader valve. I got a 7/16-20 fitting per the OTC catalog.
The cap I took off my fuel rail fits on my tire valve so I need to order a new adapter.
I cannot find the schrader size I need in the RAVE.
I think it might be imperial 0.308-32? Do you know the size adapter I need to fit ?

Old 09-03-2014 | 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I was having misfires in 3 and 5 when Jared told me to check for arcing. It was... on almost every plug. But after bosch plugs and the 8mm Magnacores, problem was solved. I ran into a problem with my SAI bracket, and I lost the screws for it and need to find out what size they are. PO or dealership has the coil packs bent away from the holes, and I had to use a prybar to pull it into place while getting the screw started. Too little room, of course, so I lost the one screw that was holding it.. because it was missing one already.

Last edited by Russratt; 09-03-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2014 | 06:17 AM
|
Three Wheeling

The bolts holding the coil bracket are a little tricky to get at so I ended up on top of the engine like so many before me have done. I managed to only crack my brittle plastic battery cover.
When I changed my coil packs, I found the PO had two different sized bolts holding the coil bracket to the UI manifold. One was Metric and one was SAE. However, I cannot remember what size the metric was which is probably the size you need.
The bottom coil brackets also had two different bolt styles with one using a washer and one having a flanged head but both bottom bolts had the same thread.

The coils were attached to the coil bracket with only two screws per coil.

I do have the spray test on my list of things to do but wanted to clean the fuel injectors first since I just replaced coils wires and plugs with top quality parts.
List of things to do for my 4 & 7 misfire:
-clear then pull codes again and report to forum
-order 0.308-32 schrader valve adapter and clean injectors
-check and clean O2 sensor plugs if oiled up
-spray mist test ignition wires in the dark

Old 09-04-2014 | 09:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Cyl 4 & 7 misfire