Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 3 & 4 Misfire on Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 3 & 4 Misfire on Cold Start

Howdy

I’ve got a 2004 Disco 2 with a little over 100k miles. I’ve had several problems with overheating in the past and have had the head gasket replaced twice. I’ve taken her off road often in the past and have had problems with mud in the radiator and other components - I’ve since tried to stay out of deep sludge for the most part.

Over the last month or so I’ve been driving myself crazy trying to diagnose misfires on cylinders 3 and 4 on cold start. Sometimes I’ll go a day without issues but they continually resurface. Service engine light starts blinking on cold start and then goes solid. Truck drives well after.

So far I’ve replaced the plugs, wires, and coils. Thought I’d solved the problems but the misfires have persisted. My next thoughts are to replace the injectors and the crankshaft sensors as I’ve heard those are common culprits. Any advice on these jobs would be appreciated.

Two months back I blew a radiator hose on the freeway and nearly overheated (only noticed from engine temp gauge). My fear is a problem with the head gasket or a potential piston but I’d imagine the truck would run poorly under such circumstances. No coolant loss or white smoke/coolant in the exhaust. Steady temperatures throughout.

I’m also pulling random misfire codes and a few manufacturer control codes, namely the p1300. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:30 AM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you done a compression test? Once compression drops below a certain psi it will trigger a missfire. In my experience it will do a random missfire cel along with the guilty cylinder cel.

The compression readings increase as the engine warms.

I'd try checking compression.

I compressor looks good do a smoke test next to check for vacuum leaks.

​​​​​​At that point I'd start looking for bad plug wire connection and swapping parts between cylinders (wires and or injectors) to see if the offending part can be found in it's new location.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by PickleRick
Have you done a compression test? Once compression drops below a certain psi it will trigger a missfire. In my experience it will do a random missfire cel along with the guilty cylinder cel.

​​​​​​At that point I'd start looking for bad plug wire connection and swapping parts between cylinders (wires and or injectors) to see if the offending part can be found in it's new location.
Good advice, do this. 3 and four are not on the same side and not on the same coil, so that is a bit mysterious. I would start with swapping plugs 3 for 5, 4 for 6, see if the misfire moves. Then do coil wires, then the coils, and then the injectors. If you get to the coil wires this might make it easier https://extinctmotorsports.com/land-...elocation-kit/ You might find this interesting: https://extinctmotorsports.com/the-e...g-perspective/

Old 11-15-2023, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by PickleRick

Appreciate the advice.

Ive since had the compression checked and values aren’t perfect but within the acceptable range. A local shop directed me towards a faulty ECU. They said their lab scope was tracking no voltage to the injectors on startup. That component has been replaced but the misfires persist.

As mentioned earlier the coils, wires, and plugs have all been replaced. The injectors have been swapped and the misfires did not follow the injectors.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:26 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Miss fire codes

Probably time to change the coils
I did mine with a relocation kit, man was it easy

Old 11-19-2023, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaggified121
Appreciate the advice.

Ive since had the compression checked and values aren’t perfect but within the acceptable range. A local shop directed me towards a faulty ECU. They said their lab scope was tracking no voltage to the injectors on startup. That component has been replaced but the misfires persist.

As mentioned earlier the coils, wires, and plugs have all been replaced. The injectors have been swapped and the misfires did not follow the injectors.
This might be as simple as a broken wire. Did you ohm out the wires from the ecu to the injectors?