Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 Brake Servo Vacuum Hose Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D1 Brake Servo Vacuum Hose Problem

I am trying to diagnose my brake issue in my D1. As you can see in the enclosed pics, my vacuum line from the engine to brake servo has snapped off at the servo. I am wondering if anyone knows what this hose is called/ part number and I am also wondering if the plastic plug at the servo end comes out for replacement or if I need to rig the hose to the broken end. I have been flipping through the rave manual but can't seem to find anything about this hose.
BTW: My brakes are working and it looks like the pads have plenty of life, no noise, stutter, etc. however in order to stop, I have to put about all my weight on the pedal. From what I have read it would seem that the vacuum works with a diaphram inside the servo to assist in braking when the pedal is not fully depressed so I am hoping that fixing this hose will solve my problem... Would this also cause a vacuum leak in the engine causing poor performance? It hessitates a little when I first start driving but I haven't done the 60k service yet so I really haven't looked into it. Any input is appreciated and please use small words and pics as I am borderline stupid!

Attached Thumbnails D1 Brake Servo Vacuum Hose Problem-1_photo.jpg   D1 Brake Servo Vacuum Hose Problem-2_photo.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I believe it affects the vacuum to the engine. As a temp measure maybe you could clamp a piece of robust plastic hose until you get the correct part but you need to make sure it won't collapse while driving.

I don't think you should leave either end exposed as crud will get sucked in.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a high pressure line, i would not put a plastic hose..Just take the picture you took to the dealer and they should give you one..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the exact problem once. it was a while ago but in the end i think i got the hose from the dealer. brought it in and we had to match it up by sight not part number. that's the only part i ever got from a dealer. couldn't find one in a junk yard in my area. and the plastic plug in the servo i got on ebay. i got lucky and found an entire servo for $10. popped it out and jb welded it in place for extra measure. and yes, fixing this will make your brakes work better

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Mudding

Try Atlantic British on line I know they have the other vac line kit or Roversland

Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the replys. I am not driving this rover yet so I prob won't try the temp fix. I will call ab and see what they say because the dealer is about an hour away and my dd rover is acting up again. Does anyone know if that plastic piece is available without finding a used servo? I will ask when I call but if anyone knows for sure that would help as well. If I do drive it I will prob just clamp the hose and plug the hole with a piece of duct tape just to see if the hesitation goes away. (Unless anyone sees a prob with that)

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Any junk yards near you ?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah there is but I haven't found any with rovers in them. Honestly though I haven't called around in a while so maybe things have changed.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, I found a used non-return servo vacuum valve and everyone I have talked to said to just use generic vacuum hose. Dynomite, you said that you got a specific hose from the dealer right? I was thinking that the hose had specific ends/ connectors on each end and that regular hose wouldn't work unless I took the fittings off the old hose. I guess I will go by the dealer next time I'm around there and see what they say. BTW: the valve was $40 bucks new! I found one for twenty from coventry west so we will see how that goes. I hate expensive, plastic parts!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Mudding

I don't see any reason why regular hose clips wouldn't work but you are correct the originals are a kind of snap in fit.

Quick Reply: D1 Brake Servo Vacuum Hose Problem