Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 Steering Box Sector Shaft Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D1 Steering Box Sector Shaft Seal

The seal on the steering box sector shaft decided to give up letting lots of fluid leak. I power washed the sterring box and after inspection I am 100% sure the seal is leaking. My question is; can you replace the seal without removing the shaft. RAVE is not clear on this. My prior experience tells me I can replace the seal with the steering box still mounted in the vehicle. Anyone have experience on this? I have noticed several D1's with the fluid puddle below the steering box, so this should be a common repair.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Anyone with experience on this? I need to tackle this gremlin this coming weekend.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most just replace the box. I had a leak, but had so much play in the steering, I replaced it.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Rock Crawling

My steering is tight and responsive. I ordered the seal kit today and hopefully will replace this weekend. Since there was little feedback on this topic, I will take pictures and share the experience.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep this thread going with pics grussell, I am in the same boat I have tight steering but the seal leaks from the bottom AND the top cover. I am going to attempt to reseal it while on the truck too. Please followup with details and pics when you get it done. BTW where did you purchase the seal kit?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling

I ordered it from Atlantic British. $29 including shipping. Should get it on Tuesday and then I will see which day to tackle this leak. She went from a few drops to puddles overnight. From what I have read, the most difficult task will be removing the pitman arm. We shall see.
I will follow up when I get started...

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Mudding

updates?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

It rained 6 inches here on Saturday with high winds so I did not have a chance to do it. It is strange though, after leaking almost a quart of fluid the leak is not as bad and no the level is not low. I am going to give it another try this coming weekend. I bought a Pitman Arm puller, the fluid and I have the seals, so ready to go.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto mine too, it's been leaking since I bought it. Only to where I have to top up the fluid about once a month though. My steering is still tight also, part of the reason I bought the truck. There were a couple Disco's I test drove before this one when I was looking that I turned down because there was so much slop in the steering wheel. We got dumped on too Saturday 3" of rain in Anna TX, to add to the 3" on Wed. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Hell if I wasn't working this Sat I'd come and watch LOL (J/K)

Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Mudding

Yeah, it was a washout here in Cedar Hill too. Cant wait to see the process when you get started!

Quick Reply: D1 Steering Box Sector Shaft Seal