Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 lift kit?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 lift kit?????

Well, I have read countless lift threads on this forum since I purchased my Disco 2 and have finally decided it is time. The problem is that I have still not been able to make heads or tails out of this. I have 2000 D2 that I fitted a CDL to with plans to fab and fit a medium duty non-winch bumper because the bumper is the only issue I have had off road so far. I have a half length roof rack that might see a couple hundred pounds on occasion. The only towing I might do is a light trailer and ATV a couple times a year. I would like to run either 235/85/16 or 265/75/16. I am looking for a 2" lift that will suit my needs. OME? Terrafirma? MD? HD? Extended brake lines? Crossmember spacers? My brain is mush and I need someone with some experience to point me in the right direction. Would it be better to just call lucky8 and see what they say?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing Medium duty springs front and rear Old Man Emu from GBR in Utah. I am running Terra firma from atlantic british. 2 inches. No spacers. No extended break lines.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any lift under 3 inches and you should not have to extend anything. Depending on how much or how hard you plan to beat your truck is going to be the factor of the lift you need. If you just occasionally go hit the trails and are mainly looking for clearance, spacers will get you the clearance you are looking for. But again that depends on how you treat your truck.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally I went with the heavy duty springs because I drive with no sway bars and replaced a lot of the plastic on the vehicle for solid metal. I love the ride. Nice and firm but still agile and flexible. Without sway bars and my 2" suspension lift I'm pushing brake and abs lines to the max and is a top priority for me right now to replace.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would go Heavy duty OME up front and Medium duty OME on the rear. Also for packaging I would stay with the all OME system the nitro sport shocks are awesome . My ride is spectacular either highway or full off road. Do not forget to add the steering stabilizer as well. use justin, or atlantic british or brit parts utah the prices are practiclly all the same it will be the shipping that I would let determine the location for purchase. this stuff is not light. good luck post pictures.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I would never get OME again, I have it right now and the Terrafirma ride quality is sooo much better. I've already bought the HD 2" TF kit from rovers north and am installing it ASAP.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How can you have it right now, say it is so much better and yet you have not installed it yet???????????????????????????
If you are not going to wheel or if you just drive forest roads, yes, the T.F. is a much softyer ride, but softer does not work when you are going to challange your self off road.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How can you have it right now, say it is so much better and yet you have not installed it yet???????????????????????????
If you are not going to wheel or if you just drive forest roads, yes, the T.F. is a much softyer ride, but softer does not work when you are going to challange your self off road.
Two friends of mine have the TF HD kit, one of which I helped install.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ZGPHOTO, instead of just saying that you would never use OME again.... why not say why! The OP, is looking for advice, advice usually comes in the form of explanations not abject comments. Ok you do not like the OME... fine tell us why, how do you use your truck how is it set up, and why you feel the TF are going to be better for you other than you have friends that have them currently set up. I run OME because of the trusted name and the durability, I have friends runnning Fj's, D-90's, D-110's, Classics, etc.. they all run OME, no one has ever had an issue they all run their trucks as I do as a primary driver. Maybe the TF's are better in certain areas I do not know as I do not run or know anyone who does. I do know that they are relatively new and I feel that a newer product while some may prefer them they do not have the test of time being used. plus there have been issues of breakage on the shock mount points... My 2 cents again...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jeffh
ZGPHOTO, instead of just saying that you would never use OME again.... why not say why! The OP, is looking for advice, advice usually comes in the form of explanations not abject comments. Ok you do not like the OME... fine tell us why, how do you use your truck how is it set up, and why you feel the TF are going to be better for you other than you have friends that have them currently set up. I run OME because of the trusted name and the durability, I have friends runnning Fj's, D-90's, D-110's, Classics, etc.. they all run OME, no one has ever had an issue they all run their trucks as I do as a primary driver. Maybe the TF's are better in certain areas I do not know as I do not run or know anyone who does. I do know that they are relatively new and I feel that a newer product while some may prefer them they do not have the test of time being used. plus there have been issues of breakage on the shock mount points... My 2 cents again...
I already mentioned why in my first comment. "...getting terrafirma because the ride quality is much better..". The OMEs have only been on my truck for less than two years, and a front shock bushing already blew out without super heavy usage. The coating they use is also not ideal(my truck has almost zero rust, except for the springs being pretty rusty). I understand that OMEs are reputable company, they have a huge share in the market as far as I've seen. I use my truck 80% on-road, 20% off road. I have yet to see a broken shock mount, but anything is possible and hope they have fixed that weak spot.

Quick Reply: D2 lift kit?????