Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 lift kit?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Also yes, I am sorry for not being more detailed before. This is all personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt as my S60R is 3" off the ground at the lowest point and we all have different tastes.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really goes back to how you plan to use your truck? Is if a everyday driver or is it mostly a trail truck? Do you play in the swamp or the rocks? Those are the factors you need to think about and make a decision. what do you expect from your truck or how you expect it to perform on different terrains. Give some answers to those questions and then these guys may be able to Explain what lift will better suit your needs and Explain why. At any rate good luck hope you pick the lift that best fits your needs the first time so you don't put it on and hate the ride quality and then spend more money to change it to something different.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chalk up another positive vote for OME. I went with the medium duty springs all the way around, shocks and steering damper. The ride on the street is just fine and I have no complaints with how the system has performed off-road. It took an afternoon to install everything and there were no issues with brake lines, etc... The biggest difference I noticed in the ride came when I put on larger tires with a stiffer side wall. I had the stock size on for a week or so after installing the shocks and springs and in comparison, the larger all-terrain tires I installed after the lift introduced some harshness and low frequency noise on rough pavement. It is a truck though, not a sports car, so I accept that as part of the price of admission to better off-road capability.

Good luck with your project,
Mike
Durham, NC

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the comments so far guys. The uses are dfficult to nail down as my wife drives it to work sometimes, we take it to town, I drive a lot of gravel roads to get to the some rocks and trails and I take it hunting in the slop and brush in the late fall. None of those things take precidence over any of the others, I would just like a smidge more clearance without giving up a whole lot for on road driving, and I think the rig looks better lifted.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MuleyJ
I am looking for a 2" lift that will suit my needs. OME? Terrafirma? MD? HD? Extended brake lines? Crossmember spacers? My brain is mush and I need someone with some experience to point me in the right direction. Would it be better to just call lucky8 and see what they say?
I went with a 2" OME HD lift. I went with the HD because I tow a boat and other toys. If you arent going to load it down go with a MD kit. The HD ride is great on and off road with and without a load.

Extended brake lines are NOT necessary but i changed mine out to extended stainless steel just to be safe...not a fan of rubber lines

Cross member spacer is NOT necessary as long as you keep your sway bars connected.

Lucky 8 can give you some advice but just keep they are in business to make money... Im sure they wont discourage you from buy extra things...

It sounds like your not going to be wheeling to hard so get a lift kit that is within your budget and meets your needs.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very happy with my 2" Terrafirma lift. I have heavy duty springs up front and the medium (told they don't make HD rear for DII) in the back along with 1" spacers to even it out with the front. I don't have anything aftermarket added, and I got the HD springs because they were incorrectly shipped, but I'm glad I got them. Overall lift ended up being 3".

Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a basic 2-3" lift I woud look at the OME kits (~$700), you can add stainless steel lines if you want.

If you want something a little bolder I would look at Rovertyme 4"+ kit. Catch is you are looking at more $. $2k for the core parts package, $1k for custom Fox Shox and another $800 for longer drive shafts.

So stick to 3" or less unless you want to replace everything..

Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Drifting

I happened to be browsing the Terafirma sight and noticed that the meduim duty coils for the rear(the ones included in the most of the kits that are sold) have this discription:

This equates to a well equipped off road or expedition vehicle, as well as vehicles used to carry a constant medium to heavy load in the rear. It can also be used on the rear of a Discovery 2 but will not carry the same load and may not achieve 2� of lift.
Has anyone used the medium rears and achieved the correct amount of lift, or are some of you guys combining the HD rear springs with the medium fronts?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrandonS
I'm very happy with my 2" Terrafirma lift. I have heavy duty springs up front and the medium (told they don't make HD rear for DII) in the back along with 1" spacers to even it out with the front. I don't have anything aftermarket added, and I got the HD springs because they were incorrectly shipped, but I'm glad I got them. Overall lift ended up being 3".
Oops, missed that one. So it was 3" around with 2" HD front and 2" MD+spacer in the rear?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've got the 3" D2 kit from Lucky8. I think it's a kit that terrafirma put together just for him. I think.

Anyway, It's easily 3" all the way around. I'm pretty sure it's heavy springs all the way around too.

3"
Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

3" pro-sport
Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Quick Reply: D2 lift kit?????