Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The D2 roof problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The D2 roof problem

How do you guys lessen the crappy look of your roof?

I heard that somewhere in the region of 80% of D2s received this dreadful paint job on the roof that became known as a "factory defect". I have used plain old car wax, to little avail.

Any tips or specific products that can improve the look of the roof area?

Thanks

Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full-length expedition rack?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I would trade your ugly roof with my pretty dual sunroof anytime, leaks included.

Try to remove the 'clear coat' layer with some polishing compound or proper solvent for that layer only. Better ask a professional and experienced painter. It is a common incompatibility of layers that the painting shop deal with all the time on many vehicles.

Last edited by Externet; 08-17-2016 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would make sure there's no corrosion and give it a vinyl wrap.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

That is a classic case of failed clear coat. D2 not the only victim, many GM cars/trucks also suffer from the affliction. As mentioned, a wrap would be nice but I would make sure the surface is free from corrosion and is some how protected. A good wrap installer would be able to advise. Also, Plastidip might be a nice option as well. Lots of colors now. I bet you could even match the current color pretty closely
Oh and by the way, creamy peanut butter on a tooth brush will remove all the wax residue on your black roof rails

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 08-17-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
That is a classic case of failed clear coat. D2 not the only victim, many GM cars/trucks also suffer from the affliction. As mentioned, a wrap would be nice but I would make sure the surface is free from corrosion and is some how protected. A good wrap installer would be able to advise. Also, Plastidip might be a nice option as well. Lots of colors now. I bet you could even match the current color pretty closely
Oh and by the way, creamy peanut butter on a tooth brush will remove all the wax residue on your black roof rails
X1 ................. unfortunately it happens to many cars, sun heat when wet, washing the car on really hot days and a lack of quality polishing from new. The darker the car paintwork the more susceptible to clearcote damage from sun/heat. There is a protective covering/coating against this but I'm afraid in your case it's too late (respray is the only real option). Metallic Silver or similar is often the best color against this type of damage.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I would pick up a lift kit and some bigger tires then you won't be able to see the offending area.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would pick up a lift kit and some bigger tires then you won't be able to see the offending area.
Army beat me to it. That's what I did! Unfortunately I have a friend who is 6'11" before he puts his boots on. (He scares me, btw) and he actually pointed the problem out to me.

But I also did a light compound on it. Made it look almost good according to my friend Lurch. I just don't look at it.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering that not many people will spend much time seeing the roof of your disco (these trucks are pretty tall), I'd just go with a can of blue spray paint and call it a day. That's just me though.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Army beat me to it. That's what I did! Unfortunately I have a friend who is 6'11" before he puts his boots on. (He scares me, btw) and he actually pointed the problem out to me.

But I also did a light compound on it. Made it look almost good according to my friend Lurch. I just don't look at it.
6'11", ............. Lurch ....................... at 5'6" he's 1'5" taller, is he a farm hand ? ............... has he been standing in manure or fertiliser ? Does he play basketball?

Quick Reply: The D2 roof problem