Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Damnit!! Hood release cable snapped - can't open hood! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/damnit-hood-release-cable-snapped-cant-open-hood-43757/)

steveo2000 09-15-2011 01:49 PM

Damnit!! Hood release cable snapped - can't open hood!

I apologize - I'm in between meetings and don't have time to search on an answer:

Just went out to my truck, went to pop the hood, cable snapped. Is there a way to open the hood without using the hood release?

TIA,
Steve:eek:

Brisco 09-15-2011 02:41 PM

Inspect the cable. It may have broke at the lever or the lever may have broke. Either way you can open it by pulling on the wire with a pair of pliers.

steveo2000 09-15-2011 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brisco (Post 268065)
Inspect the cable. It may have broke at the lever or the lever may have broke. Either way you can open it by pulling on the wire with a pair of pliers.

Thanks for your reply. The cable is completely detached from both ends and is balled up in my hand! :)

hilltoppersx 09-15-2011 03:38 PM

You Lose! Good Day Sir! - YouTube

steveo2000 09-15-2011 04:27 PM

LOL!

Anyone with a suggestion that will actually open my hood? :)

Spike555 09-15-2011 06:08 PM

You have basically 2 options, you can pop out the drivers side headlight and reach the hood latch that way or you can break the grill and open it that way.

Once you replace the cable lube the latch and cable every 6 months with silicone spray, do this to ALL moving parts on your truck, locks, latches, hinges...everything.
If it moves it needs to be lubed.

steveo2000 09-15-2011 08:19 PM

Thanks Spike, I appreciate the advice. I'll take a look and see what's more expensive to replace!

Savannah Buzz 09-15-2011 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Perhaps the local "pop a lock" locksmith could offer an option for you, they are able to get into a variety of doors and such, might be worth a call.

In the pix of a D1 there is a hole to the right of the latch, where you can see the locking nut for the cable. Move that toward driver's side of the vehicle is like pulling in the cable. A stiff wire or such might be able to be bent to go up/under hood lip to reach it. D2 may be different. But those locksmith guys are pretty clever.

One of the dismantlers could give you a price on grille vs head light, also, you might consider this to be the time for a Saudi grille conversion, where you have to cut out the center anyway.

DaveBFoto 09-16-2011 12:59 AM

I just stuck a pair of pliers behind the grill and yanked on the latch when mine broke.
Also, don't use like a universal one-size-fits all hood release cable to replace it. I broke 3 of those crummy things at $17 apiece before I bit the bullet and bought one for $50 from the stealership and haven't had an issue since.

Boxcars 09-07-2015 02:30 PM

Stuck Hood / Bonnet

I have the 2010 LR4 HSE and hood seems stuck. I think the cable came off at the latch. I removed handle inside and no luck. How do you open the latches on the 2010 LR4. I don't think I can get at it through the grill and no way to remove the lights from outside, Any Ideas? Maybe I should start removing trim from bottom?