Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous body roll and swerving when braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 08:34 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous body roll and swerving when braking

Hi,
We were driving through baja the other day in my 2003 Disco II. We came up a rolling hill and as we came up and over I saw a goat in the road and tried to brake suddenly. I can’t say if it was pedal to the floor but I definitely had to react suddenly. We were going about 70-80mph. As soon as I braked the disco started to swerve left right left (- few feet of travel in each direction) right pretty violently. Due to the speed I thought we were going to lose it and flip but thank good this stopped after we slowed down. No issues the rest of the trip (over 1000 miles) but then again we never had another situation where we had to brake so quick going at an high rate of speed. Any ideas what this could be?

A few additional details:
- we have a baja rack and gas tanks on top + 2 surfboard
- 2” OME lift + 16” 265 K02
- brakes have been inspected and all the pads are fine; also suspension and stabilizer ok
- my brake line broke last year and my mechanic in the US had a very tough time fixing it - I had to bring it back 4 times (spongy pedal etc) and they changed the brake booster but it was literally 8 weeks in the shop
- It was discovered in the inspection after that CV joints need to replaced as well as one of the ball joint
- sometimes roads in baja are not graded well and are bumpy so small chance that it could have been that piece it road however the road looked very new and smooth to me

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Last edited by IvanE; 12-11-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:38 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

@IvanE Check your bushings,on the trailing arms.

But I would also be concerned about my brakes taking multiple trips over 2 months to replace a line and bleed the system. It sounds like pretty poor work to to me. I had all 4 rotors and the pads replaced, as well as the calipers checked by a local Nissen mechanic in one day with zero issues.

Old 12-11-2023, 11:26 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

No way it should take that long to replace brake parts. I just replaced my ENTIRE brake system. Working alone it took two casual days.
Given the trouble that you have had with that system, perhaps your wheels are grabbing unevenly. A bad master cylinder can lead to only half the lines being active, so perhaps that is something to look into.

Old 12-11-2023, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

The rollover warning is on the D2 sun visor because people have been seriously injured or killed....Just Slow Down.

The D2 wasn't designed for 70 - 80mph desert running (even with OME kit) and when you put heavy stuff on a roof rack it raises the center of gravity and makes the vehicle unstable and you get even more unpredictable handling.

Keep in mind that at the time Land Rover released the D2 they were using the following slogan in their training videos "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary".

Old 12-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanE
Hi,
We were driving through baja the other day in my 2003 Disco II. We came up a rolling hill and as we came up and over I saw a goat in the road and tried to brake suddenly. I can’t say if it was pedal to the floor but I definitely had to react suddenly. We were going about 70-80mph. As soon as I braked the disco started to swerve left right left (- few feet of travel in each direction) right pretty violently. Due to the speed I thought we were going to lose it and flip but thank good this stopped after we slowed down. No issues the rest of the trip (over 1000 miles) but then again we never had another situation where we had to brake so quick going at an high rate of speed. Any ideas what this could be?

A few additional details:
- we have a baja rack and gas tanks on top + 2 surfboard

It's foolish to get into a vehicle with containers of gasoline ready to pour over the entirety of it.

- 2” OME lift + 16” 265 K02
- brakes have been inspected and all the pads are fine; also suspension and stabilizer ok

Your shocks have insufficient low-speed compression damping for the weight and insufficient rebound damping for the up-rated "lift" springs. Get ones you can valve yourself because OME won't fix it. If you're using the sway bars, they may need new bushings. I suggest urethane.

- my brake line broke last year and my mechanic in the US had a very tough time fixing it - I had to bring it back 4 times (spongy pedal etc) and they changed the brake booster but it was literally 8 weeks in the shop

Leaking boosters are a common problem but the replacement should resolve that part. The steel brake lines are prone to rust and the rubber ones rot away. Replace the lines on the axle with cupronickel tubing and replace the rubber ones with steel-braided. I suggest covering the steel braid so it doesn't saw through something else.

- It was discovered in the inspection after that CV joints need to replaced as well as one of the ball joint

You might also need to replace the bushings on the panhard rod and the tie-rod ends on the tie-rod and drag-link. New bushings on the radius arms can also improve stability.

- sometimes roads in baja are not graded well and are bumpy so small chance that it could have been that piece it road however the road looked very new and smooth to me

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Old 12-14-2023, 11:50 AM
5th Gear
Exclamation

Thank you everyone for the replies.
We will focus on the following to start (also see the attached photos) - would love any additional feedback!

Start here:
- Upper and Lower Ball Joints
- Right-front CV Boot
- Rear Universal Joint

Maybe later:
- Brakes: They have been inspected again and look "fine/good" but I agree the way they were repaired was concerning. By a "licensed LR mechanic" and shop specializing in LR in Los Angeles area nonetheless...a complete joke.
- Tie-rod ends and bushings - they seem fine and were changed last year

Old 12-14-2023, 11:54 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gecko951
The rollover warning is on the D2 sun visor because people have been seriously injured or killed....Just Slow Down.

The D2 wasn't designed for 70 - 80mph desert running (even with OME kit) and when you put heavy stuff on a roof rack it raises the center of gravity and makes the vehicle unstable and you get even more unpredictable handling.

Keep in mind that at the time Land Rover released the D2 they were using the following slogan in their training videos "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary".
I appreciate your concern ( I think) but how is this a helpful reply? Regardless of the speed, there are safety issues with the car that need to be addressed...whether you go 50/60/70mph if the car flips and rolls off the highway due to a faulty mechanism or part, you will die. It's like if you asked for advice in the forum and people responded to you by telling you to stay home and not drive the car because it's safer that way.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:16 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

@IvanE That last picture is part of the problem that bush is shot. 2nd picture looks like the CV joint boot has split that will also cause problems

Old 12-17-2023, 03:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Your disco goes 80mph? Man, i'm jealous, mine would explode.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:34 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Haven’t we al hit 80mph occasionally? It’s not great, but doable, eg while passing at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Dangerous body roll and swerving when braking