Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous body roll and swerving when braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 07:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

Check your Watts Linkage (attached to rear diff)

The watts linkage on a Land Rover Discovery 2 is designed to restrict sideways movement of the rear axle. When the bushings are worn, you can get the sideways movement you mentioned. Also when your suspension is lifted the watts linkage arms can come into contact with the axle brackets which will restrict articulation and downward movement of the axle.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanE
Hi,
We were driving through baja the other day in my 2003 Disco II. We came up a rolling hill and as we came up and over I saw a goat in the road and tried to brake suddenly. I can’t say if it was pedal to the floor but I definitely had to react suddenly. We were going about 70-80mph. As soon as I braked the disco started to swerve left right left (- few feet of travel in each direction) right pretty violently. Due to the speed I thought we were going to lose it and flip but thank good this stopped after we slowed down. No issues the rest of the trip (over 1000 miles) but then again we never had another situation where we had to brake so quick going at an high rate of speed. Any ideas what this could be?

A few additional details:
- we have a baja rack and gas tanks on top + 2 surfboard
- 2” OME lift + 16” 265 K02
- brakes have been inspected and all the pads are fine; also suspension and stabilizer ok
- my brake line broke last year and my mechanic in the US had a very tough time fixing it - I had to bring it back 4 times (spongy pedal etc) and they changed the brake booster but it was literally 8 weeks in the shop
- It was discovered in the inspection after that CV joints need to replaced as well as one of the ball joint
- sometimes roads in baja are not graded well and are bumpy so small chance that it could have been that piece it road however the road looked very new and smooth to me

Thanks so much for any help and advice!
you were on an unpaved road doing between 70 and 80 mph in an SUV with a 2" lift and a roof rack, gasoline, and surfboards on top of it and had to slam on your brakes.

i'd venture a guess that those things alone could be the main contributing factors to the violent weaving. These Discoverys are top heavy in stock form.

definitely check all the drivetrain and suspension parts others have pointed out, but if everything looks good, this may have been a one off incident due to the nature of the vehicle, its setup, the way it is loaded, and the goat.