Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darn British Cars, now its the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Darn British Cars, now its the radiator

Alright you guys, if it isn't one thing, it is another. So my soooooo dependable Discovery decides to throw a p1179 code this week. I clear it and it is running great. Then, out of the blue it appears again today. My wife ran to the store and back, all of 2 miles, and she drives in the driveway and the thing is leaking from the radiator, the same radiator that was "fixed" two months ago. this dog gone car is a freaking money pit, at least I am getting a good opportunity to teach my boys about auto maintenance, up close and personal like. Anyway, a quick check of the internet shows that a new radiator, sans installation, is anywhere from $450 to $650, plus shipping and tax. Almost the 1/4 the value of the truck! Anyway, I have another option and that is to have the original radiator recored. Any thoughts and the cost of a recore and the estimated durability vs. new? As you can tell, the discovery is in the dog house tonight, this darn truck is costing me an arm and a leg, what a piece of crap. In two years of ownership, a water pump, brakes, front crank seal, leaking valve cover gaskets, leaking transfer case, leaking power steering hoses, leaking oil cooler lines and leaking transmission line, not to mention, faulty power seat controls, disenegrating subwoofers, the radiator and a handful of other items. On the other hand, my Land Cruiser just rolled 173k and it runs like a top! Literally nothing but basic service and gas, premium, but 14 mpg in town and 17 plus on the highway.

Anyway, so much for my rant, just got back from the hospital doing a repair on a bad femur on a buddy of mine. Its late, thanks for any info on the radiator repair.

Phil 1999 Discovery I 95k miles, truck likes like new, and if I keep replacing parts, it will be!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A recored radiator is just as good as new. I have no idea how much it should cost though.
Thats sucks about your "reliable" truck, I have a DI with 177.000+ miles and I spend an average of $300 per year in repairs.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am assuming that you have pinpointed the leak o the radiator itself and not a hose or a loose clamp. If that is the case, how bad is the leak, typically repair shops get 90 days warranty on parts. If this was replaced 2 months ago, take it back and see if that they replace it and the parts warranty.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The radiator is on its way out. I has started leaking where the tube meet up with the side pieces. The repair shop soldered off the offending tubes and it was good to go. It looks like it has developed new leaks on different tubes. Other than Atlantic British or British Pacific, anybody have a line on a good, but less expensive radiator? It is amazing that the DI radiators run in the $500 plus range and you can find a DII radiator for $259. At least I don't have the 3 amigos problem. Thanks,

Leaking in San Diego, Phil

Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
DI's have a bigger radiator than DII's so it costs more.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Winching

Just buy a Silla radiator.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I see my Disco as a Hobby ... Seems Im not the only one in a Love, Hate relationship.

I have other cars that are great , No trouble at All , even old Jaguars but just one blink of an eye of my Disco and I´m throwing money at her again..

It´s the only one that can take me off roading were I can have my own space and just enjoy the view. You dont choose who you Love .... I hope I could.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another great site for parts, I learned about this one a few years ago:

http://www.car-part.com

You can search by year, make/model, area, and it even asks what options you have. Great little site.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover
Just buy a Silla radiator.
I agree, when it comes to radiators, sillia is the only way to go. reliable and reasonably priced.

Last edited by archebald23; 04-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody have a site for the Sillia radiators?

Quick Reply: Darn British Cars, now its the radiator