Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Discovery, part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 07:44 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead Discovery, part II

Hey! So I guess my first thread is a dead link.. like my disco... 🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️

New member here.. just picked up an 01 24 hours ago..
It was a sketch deal to begin with, but man I wanted it..
now she's dead in my drive way after a long day of finding someone to tow it from 2 hours away...
This is how it went after purchasing it..
gas was filled but guage only read half full..
Either the key is super sensitive or theres something electrical going on because the lights would blink like locking and unlocking
then my husband was driving home alligator alley with me behind him going 90 and it started to decelerate and eventually it blew..
oh and the rpms stayed at 4500 while he was cruising at 85/90mph..
pulled over locked it up and went home..
Gave tow truck driver the key and said bring it to me..
They had to drag it up the upd because the key wouldnt open the door, manually or with the button.. had to smash the back 1/4 window
in the door to manually unlock it cause even lock out kits didnt work...
husband looked at it quickly cause it was getting dark and
said maybe something with the transmission went, maybe it blew a head gasket... it dumped all its water that's for sure...
But hey.. PROJECT! LOL FML..

What chall think? 💁🏼*♀️💁🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️

Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Rovers have given you a warm welcome.

Sounds like there are more than a few issues

Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I’d never drive anything I just bought home at 80-90MPH especially a LR. At those speeds you could easily overheat it with a stock thermostat (after 65MPH-75MPH the radiator surface area can’t keep up with the heat generated by the engine and temps will rise. I always take a ScanGauge II with me to monitor voltage, RPM, and WT. From the sound of it she either blew a hose, boiled over, or a combination of things.

4500RPM at 80-90MPH sounds kinda high to me, I’ve gone up to 85MPH and I think I was in the 3500-3700RPM range (sounds like it was in 3rd vs 4th). Rev limiter hits at 5500RPM.

Sorry no one could get into your LR without having to bust a window. I’ve somehow always figured out a way to get into anything I’ve owned without resorting to breaking the window. LR door’s have A LOT of play in the top, and usually a small wedge is enough to spread open the top of the door allowing me to use a stiff wire or fish tape to snag the inner door latch. If it’s super locked (which yours wasn’t) there is no other way, but normal locked = easy.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:30 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I’d never drive anything I just bought home at 80-90MPH especially a LR. At those speeds you could easily overheat it with a stock thermostat (after 65MPH-75MPH the radiator surface area can’t keep up with the heat generated by the engine and temps will rise. I always take a ScanGauge II with me to monitor voltage, RPM, and WT. From the sound of it she either blew a hose, boiled over, or a combination of things.

4500RPM at 80-90MPH sounds kinda high to me, I’ve gone up to 85MPH and I think I was in the 3500-3700RPM range (sounds like it was in 3rd vs 4th). Rev limiter hits at 5500RPM.

Sorry no one could get into your LR without having to bust a window. I’ve somehow always figured out a way to get into anything I’ve owned without resorting to breaking the window. LR door’s have A LOT of play in the top, and usually a small wedge is enough to spread open the top of the door allowing me to use a stiff wire or fish tape to snag the inner door latch. If it’s super locked (which yours wasn’t) there is no other way, but normal locked = easy.

the tow people were able to wedge in and try the door latch, pulling up the lock, everything.. nothing budged.

Yea, I agree, he shouldn't of pushed it to 90, but we just wanted to get home..

The rpms were definitely high for the mph.. hopefully the engine is salvageable, that's all I hope for really

Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Why does my gut tell me that "the husband" didn't actually want this thing?

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:19 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
Why does my gut tell me that "the husband" didn't actually want this thing?
Ding ding ding!

Lmao he actually was the one who found it... lol

He did just send me another one for sale to buy too and just be done with the first one..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I would suggest driving this one home yourself

Old 03-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

When I bought my 94 RRC LWB way back in the day my g/f at the time I insisted on driving it home. It was in great shape, but I was gonna take it easy. Nah she got in, went 65MPH down the access road & I lost her in traffic. Got home about 15min behind her, and found all 4 mud flaps had flown off during her test drive home, and the brakes smelled burnt to a crisp.....

I never let her drive it again!!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mamitotwo
Hey! So I guess my first thread is a dead link.. like my disco... 🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️

New member here.. just picked up an 01 24 hours ago..
It was a sketch deal to begin with, but man I wanted it..
now she's dead in my drive way after a long day of finding someone to tow it from 2 hours away...
This is how it went after purchasing it..
gas was filled but guage only read half full..
Either the key is super sensitive or theres something electrical going on because the lights would blink like locking and unlocking
then my husband was driving home alligator alley with me behind him going 90 and it started to decelerate and eventually it blew..
oh and the rpms stayed at 4500 while he was cruising at 85/90mph..
pulled over locked it up and went home..
Gave tow truck driver the key and said bring it to me..
They had to drag it up the upd because the key wouldnt open the door, manually or with the button.. had to smash the back 1/4 window
in the door to manually unlock it cause even lock out kits didnt work...
husband looked at it quickly cause it was getting dark and
said maybe something with the transmission went, maybe it blew a head gasket... it dumped all its water that's for sure...
But hey.. PROJECT! LOL FML..

What chall think? 💁🏼*♀️💁🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️
I feel bad for this Disco....Sorry. It just got completely beat by it's new owner, like selling your family bunny on Craigslist to an unsuspecting person who eats rabbit....lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Motorhead1:
NewToTheTwo (03-05-2019), shanechevelle (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Just buying a different one, and using this one for parts sounds like an excellent idea based on the electrical/lock issue. A coolant pressure test will tell you if the head gasket blew, but the electrical stuff is a whole can of worms you'd need a very good OBDII tool to deal with yourself, and lots of time.

Quick Reply: Dead Discovery, part II