Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer BS Warning follow up: Reguarding RoverMasterTech and Grove Auto Repair, in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer BS Warning follow up: Reguarding RoverMasterTech and Grove Auto Repair, in NJ

In good faith to Chris, RoverMasterTech of Grove Auto Repair, I want to elaborate on some details of my previous post.

After speaking with Chris in person, the dealer he works behind (Grove Auto) and several other mechanics in the area, I believe I owe it to him to explain what wasn't made apparent to me.

Although they share the name Grove for convinience I assume, Chris is NOT employed by, nor directly affiliated with the people of the used car dealership in Long Branch NJ, Grove Auto, where I purchased my 00 Disco now 3 weeks ago with the disabled check engine light and yaddayadda (see old post) and yet to have been able to take delivery. Chris rents the garage space at the location, and being a Land Rover Master Tech, the dealership used him pretty much as a selling ploy saying why not buy from him, after all he has a LR tech right on spot! Negotiated in the original selling deal was that the dealer was going to replace the front propeller shaft (it showed signs of damage about to lead to soon to be complete failure) and a window regulator since the window was off track abit. However, the deal was with the dealer of Grove, not with Chris and his company. So, the dealer could use whomever he wants, and apparently, whenever he wants within reason... which is why it has sat for 3 weeks only to finally now being looked at after asking for my money back and checking around on his buisness rep and character (the dealer).

I went in today to see where the hell my Disco was, and low and behold I found Chris dirst hands deap in my engine bay working away. I'm assuming at the benefit to the situation, so a BIG thank you to Chris for playing the middle man here. He even spoke with me on the phone reguarding the dealer confirming what I heard from many other references about the dealers quality. My mistake for not checking first.

Anywho, I thought an explination on Chris's behalf was obligated, see here as he might have a good customer base for future work, and I don't want to scare off the wrong people by grouping him in falsly with this shady *** dealer.

Thats about it, anyone wanting more info by all means email me or see my other post titled Dealer BS warning.

Thanks all, and sorry Chris! Hope this all turns out well for all of us.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without being sued for liable, is there a place to post a warning about a local repair shop in Portland, Oregon that does work that does not last and does not warranty their work? A couple years ago I brought my 2000 Disco II into this shop for what was supposed to be a head gasket job. Well, $5,400 later, I drive away. I have put about 25,000 miles on the truck since then and suddenly developed a significant oil and coolant leak. Feeling as though the first shop took me for a very expensive and questionable ride, I decided to take it to a different local shop highly recommended to me. They tell me I have blown head gaskets, a water pump that is shot (which was replaced at the first head gasket party). Additionally, I have a front timing cover leak and a rear main seal leak. The first shop said they don't warranty their work nor parts after one year and the only way they could determine (out of the goodness of their hearts) whether they would offer some sort of warranty consideration was to bring it into their shop again. Well, I assume that they must have used inferior parts and done a questionable repair and charged a fortune to do so. Really, bring it back to them for another beating? My point is that I want to warn people about this shop but don't want to be sued for liable. I don't know if there is a way to do this legally. This shop is probably making a fabulous profit and assuring their customers will be coming back sooner than they'd have imagined for subsequent and expensive re-repairs.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the better business bureau

Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RussellNW
Without being sued for liable, is there a place to post a warning about a local repair shop in Portland, Oregon that does work that does not last and does not warranty their work? A couple years ago I brought my 2000 Disco II into this shop for what was supposed to be a head gasket job. Well, $5,400 later, I drive away. I have put about 25,000 miles on the truck since then and suddenly developed a significant oil and coolant leak. Feeling as though the first shop took me for a very expensive and questionable ride, I decided to take it to a different local shop highly recommended to me. They tell me I have blown head gaskets, a water pump that is shot (which was replaced at the first head gasket party). Additionally, I have a front timing cover leak and a rear main seal leak. The first shop said they don't warranty their work nor parts after one year and the only way they could determine (out of the goodness of their hearts) whether they would offer some sort of warranty consideration was to bring it into their shop again. Well, I assume that they must have used inferior parts and done a questionable repair and charged a fortune to do so. Really, bring it back to them for another beating? My point is that I want to warn people about this shop but don't want to be sued for liable. I don't know if there is a way to do this legally. This shop is probably making a fabulous profit and assuring their customers will be coming back sooner than they'd have imagined for subsequent and expensive re-repairs.
Yes a water pump and head gaskets should last longer than 25,000 miles and assuming the water pump was new and not a rebuilt unit.
But to ask then to warranty work after 25,000 miles and how many years is unreasonable.
Yes the over charged but you knew that before they did the work as the are required by law to give you a written estimate before starting work and they must by law remain within reason of the estimate or ask for your permission to add to the bill.
You must have had other work done too to add up to the $5700 you paid.