Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership BS warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018 | 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by User
Gotcha!

Their sales people are very nice as well. Where do you park when you go there? I end up parking in their service bay..
I usually get a spot out front or around the corner.

Old 10-09-2018 | 12:53 PM
Baja

There's a place in long branch n.j. i forget the name

Old 12-10-2018 | 06:11 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
So I bought a 00 Disco that had the ujoints goin bad, so I was having them replaced as part of the deal.

There was some wear n tare damage to the coupler part so they bought a salvage piece without damage on it, so all I needed was the upgraded ujoints with the greese fittings etc.

i called land rover dealer in ocean, nj and asked if they had the ujoints. They responded that they only sell the complete shaft piece for like $350 or whatever, and only stock oem ujoints that are nongreasable. ok, so i go online and come up with the part number TVC100010 from lucky8 as the Defender 90 oem greaseble ujoint that can be used in discos as a HD replacement. They are selling it for $18 but I would perfer I get them within the next few hours, so I call back the dealership with the part number. the guy on the phone was like oh wow yea that is the replacement ujoint, that doesnt crossreferance in thier system as a sellable unit when looking up just the disco. ok thats fine, and they have 3 in stock. awesome! so im about to go down there and pick them up, and he tells me they are $124 EACH. I said, is that the complete shaft because i only need the UJOINT that is associated with that. He replys, no, that IS the correct ujoint, and that IS the individual price. now, how F***KIN rediculous is that? its not like the $18 price is for an aftermarket piece, it IS a Land Rover part for gods sake! I can see dealerships charging a bit more over say Autozone or Pep Boys who sell $5-15 ujoints left and right, but $124?!?!?!

wow, you just lost ALL future buisness with me, i will be getting ALL my parts online, and certainly will never purchase a new land rover from a dealer, EVER.... even if the build reputation increases to cummins diesel quality and they can defy gravity.

anywho, jsut thought id share that. also considering you can get an entire disco for $500-1000, why spend a QUARTER of the price for a whole new damn car on some needle bearings and caps taht cost them $0.50 each to produce on the factory line.

on a second note, they also wanted $55 for the BELT. oh, my, lord.
in defense of dealerships, they can only sell you what they them selves can get from land rover. And land rover does not like to sell small pieces, they like sell entire assemblies, that way there is less of a chance that there will be a issue.