Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the responses so far. I want to make this truck work for awhile. The community here is friendly and knowledgeable and obviously enjoy these vehicles.

I just can’t believe how finicky these things are.

Totally unrelated to this thread but a question nonetheless... looking at replacing tires with something more aggressive seems to be challenging w the stock wheels. Am I missing something? Maybe Tire Rack just has horrible suggestions?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Tensioner pulleys batrery are all easy
water pump is easy but you need to take the fan clutch out and need a long wrench but it’s super easy
few bolts gasket that’s it
look on Atlantic British site or utube to videos

now you have to find out why belt slipped ??
Steam out of engine check cooling system

get yourself a ultraguage

if you have time on your hands and patience and have a few spare dollars it’s a great truck but they do require love and attention

Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

They only tend to be finicky if maintenance has not been kept up meticulously If not kept up things will snowball and that's where you are now.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave03S
They only tend to be finicky if maintenance has not been kept up meticulously If not kept up things will snowball and that's where you are now.
I feel like that may be too generalized a statement. Not sure why the engine was replaced at 68,000 miles by previous owner. However, since we’ve owned the truck we’ve maintained it well and spent over $10k in repairs along the way.

From reading through countless threads on this forum I’ve seen problems w the three amigos, locking mechanisms and the necessity to buy aftermarket gauges to monitor temperature and other things. That sort of seems like it fits well within the definition of finicky.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

ebay water pump is $30 ish, power steering pump $100ish, pulleys from Rock Auto less than $20.

As far as keeping it, check the rear frame for rust, if it is not already it will be in KS after a while. Not a huge issue unless your state does state safety inspection and then it becomes and issue when they decide the frame is unsafe.

I would keep it, but then I have 5.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
ebay water pump is $30 ish, power steering pump $100ish, pulleys from Rock Auto less than $20.

As far as keeping it, check the rear frame for rust, if it is not already it will be in KS after a while. Not a huge issue unless your state does state safety inspection and then it becomes and issue when they decide the frame is unsafe.

I would keep it, but then I have 5.
for my future reference is it wise to buy cheap costing parts for these vehicles? Any safer to buy “nicer” parts? Just curious.

Luckily KS doesn’t have inspections of any kind. I’ll check read frame though. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I have had good luck with Napa’s Power Steering Pumps and they are 130 or sonif memory serves, and they warranty.

Get a metric socket set with 3/8 and 1/2 sockets and wrenches. Extenders too.

Fan tools on eBay I beleive.

the issue with fixing things is not if you’ll be able to do it, but if you are motivated to do it.

Spray at the WD-40 in, and if that doesn’t work taking the door cars off the rear to fix is really not a big job.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I have had good luck with Napa’s Power Steering Pumps and they are 130 or sonif memory serves, and they warranty.

Get a metric socket set with 3/8 and 1/2 sockets and wrenches. Extenders too.

Fan tools on eBay I beleive.

the issue with fixing things is not if you’ll be able to do it, but if you are motivated to do it.

Spray at the WD-40 in, and if that doesn’t work taking the door cars off the rear to fix is really not a big job.
good points. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by KS_Discovery04

for my future reference is it wise to buy cheap costing parts for these vehicles? Any safer to buy “nicer” parts? Just curious.

Luckily KS doesn’t have inspections of any kind. I’ll check read frame though. Thanks for the heads up.
I wouldn’t go cheap on the water pump, but heck, Best4x4’s cheap part Rec’s have been golden for me. I’ve had good luck with eBay hubs, but bad luck with some Britpart parts.

If the giys here have had luck with cheaper parts do it.

Rock Auto actually has a really nice User Interface, and good prices and occasionally closeouts.

I’d recommend fel-pro gaskets or genuine depending on cost.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CollieRover

I wouldn’t go cheap on the water pump, but heck, Best4x4’s cheap part Rec’s have been golden for me. I’ve had good luck with eBay hubs, but bad luck with some Britpart parts.

If the giys here have had luck with cheaper parts do it.

Rock Auto actually has a really nice User Interface, and good prices and occasionally closeouts.

I’d recommend fel-pro gaskets or genuine depending on cost.
Thanks. I’m going to make this beast work so I’ll be frequenting this forum often. Anyone else from Kansas City area?

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions