Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KS_Discovery04

Thanks. I’m going to make this beast work so I’ll be frequenting this forum often. Anyone else from Kansas City area?
you can go to a hardware shop and get a 1 1/2 inch adjustable wrench, cost me like $10 and got the fan off perfect, also since it’s adjustable, it can be used elsewhere, also I’ve had a $98 eBay PS pump on my 03 disco 2 for 6 months, no problems, not a single leak, I’ve had good luck maybe, but seems to be fine for me

Ps pump
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F281758652432

Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks. I’m going to make this beast work so I’ll be frequenting this forum often. Anyone else from Kansas City area?
No, but I love Boulevard Beer. Especially their Berliner Weiss.

For tools sets, you’ll be fine with Harbor freight’s Pittsburgh Brand, but plastic handles on socket wrenches are useless, get just metal socket wrenches, and wear gloves.

Get 6 point impact sockets, there are a few places where you need 12point, but not many. The 6 point will avoid stripping.

A set will have a nice organization to it, though. Craftsemen are good, but Husky is good to, Menards brands have broken on me.

Use WD-40 as a penetrant.

Get ziplock bags and labels, and label and org all parts you take off, and keep notes.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't forget to get a giant tub of hand cleaner because everywhere other than where the gloves are will probably become extremely dirty

Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Don't forget to get a giant tub of hand cleaner because everywhere other than where the gloves are will probably become extremely dirty
Nice, Thick nitrile gloves. And orange hand cleaner.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm gonna get these once my current stash runs out -- they are David Freiburger approved!

Venom Steel Nitrile Gloves Venom Steel Nitrile Gloves

Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixing the disco up - hopefully can have it done and running well by the time the snow comes to KC tomorrow. Missed out on the fun last weekend with 8" we got. Will get some pictures posted of the truck this weekend. If I can get this thing driving well I'll likely start doing some mods to the truck soon. Nothing big to start with - mostly audio related. Would like to look into lifting it, replacing the front bumper, getting some new off-road tires.

Does anyone replace the wheel side walls with something that matches the exterior pant color instead of the black plastic? trim pieces? What about removing them and leaving them off? Anyone does this? Does it look bad/good?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Fixing the disco up - hopefully can have it done and running well by the time the snow comes to KC tomorrow. Missed out on the fun last weekend with 8" we got. Will get some pictures posted of the truck this weekend. If I can get this thing driving well I'll likely start doing some mods to the truck soon. Nothing big to start with - mostly audio related. Would like to look into lifting it, replacing the front bumper, getting some new off-road tires.

Does anyone replace the wheel side walls with something that matches the exterior pant color instead of the black plastic? trim pieces? What about removing them and leaving them off? Anyone does this? Does it look bad/good?
Good luck! Having a lift is something I would do if u need to. The ride will be harsh, and you’ll have a hard time in parking Ramos. That may not big you. Depends on how hard you are going to off road it. Do some trips see how it does.

you can find pictures without fender flares and the black plastic trim strips. I may do it eventually.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello KS,

On 12/7/18 I purchased Boston Rover Repair in Malden, MA. my partner is a certified Mercedes Mechanic.Todd friend of mine has a 06 Mercedes with clonking noises, rattles etc. the proposal for repairs was around $7,500 included was:

Timing chain, both motor mounts, radiator, oil cooler seals, propeller shaft, and few other things. his question was shoud I put that much into the car or put it as a down payment in a new one?

My answer was: Todd you know me, I don't like to have loans out there, your car has 130k miles but is not rusted, not badly dented and everything works if you buy a new car the $7,500 will be gone and in top of that you will have 59 more payments of a minimum of $750.00 ( $7500 / 750= 10 months) in 10 months you will have a sound car that will last you another 100k miles (yes with some repairs in between) but to me is still is a good deal.

I think that depends of the general condition of your car, $1,100 is not a lot unless the car was't cared for and needs a lot of major things.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonAssets@gmail.com
Hello KS,

On 12/7/18 I purchased Boston Rover Repair in Malden, MA. my partner is a certified Mercedes Mechanic.Todd friend of mine has a 06 Mercedes with clonking noises, rattles etc. the proposal for repairs was around $7,500 included was:

Timing chain, both motor mounts, radiator, oil cooler seals, propeller shaft, and few other things. his question was shoud I put that much into the car or put it as a down payment in a new one?

My answer was: Todd you know me, I don't like to have loans out there, your car has 130k miles but is not rusted, not badly dented and everything works if you buy a new car the $7,500 will be gone and in top of that you will have 59 more payments of a minimum of $750.00 ( $7500 / 750= 10 months) in 10 months you will have a sound car that will last you another 100k miles (yes with some repairs in between) but to me is still is a good deal.

I think that depends of the general condition of your car, $1,100 is not a lot unless the car was't cared for and needs a lot of major things.

Good luck
Sometimes I get in my own way. I did math similar to yours - arrived a similar conclusion then asked the wife what she thought. With used cars you never know what type of repairs are around the corner. Drop a down payment and monthly payments on a used car then run into problems and all of a sudden $1,100 is looking mighty fine.

On the other hand $1,100 can turn into more if other problems arise. Not to mention time in the shop or up on blocks. Oh well - lets get this thing running and ride it some more!

Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in KCK. I've never done the water pump but I wouldnt mind giving you a hand if you need it. I also have a 04 with 150k miles.

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions