Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer

Today I had the honor of hitting my first deer, in my Rover no less. 45mph and 5000 pounds did not give Bambi much of a chance. I did not feel anything when I hit it. I only saw it rolling away as I slowed down. After checking the front end I have this to report:

One bent license plate

That's it! I just put on some OME 779/762 springs with shocks and that resulted in a couple extra inches of lift on the front end. I am very impressed with my Rover. Any other car (or most SUV's also) would need major repairs. So know you all know you don't need to swerve, just sit back and enjoy the show!

Cheers,

Pete

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Deer

ORIGINAL: Switzer

Today I had the honor of hitting my first deer, in my Rover no less. 45mph and 5000 pounds did not give Bambi much of a chance. I did not feel anything when I hit it. I only saw it rolling away as I slowed down. After checking the front end I have this to report:

One bent license plate

That's it! I just put on some OME 779/762 springs with shocks and that resulted in a couple extra inches of lift on the front end. I am very impressed with my Rover. Any other car (or most SUV's also) would need major repairs. So know you all know you don't need to swerve, just sit back and enjoy the show!

Cheers,

Pete
The question though is did you field dress it? I'll take venison cutlets...yes it is Kosher

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad to hear all is well.

NEVER EVER swerve to miss a animal, EVER, slow down and keep the wheel, straight.
To many people here in MI end up dead or in the hospital because they swerve to miss a deer and hit a tree or another car.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok. Spike- one of my good friends just flipped his Montero Sport because he tried to avoid a cat and hit a telephone pole. Luckily neither him nor the 3 other kids in the car were hurt at all, but he's out quite a lot of money from it.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: hazletbassist89

Glad to hear you're ok. Spike- one of my good friends just flipped his Montero Sport because he tried to avoid a cat and hit a telephone pole. Luckily neither him nor the 3 other kids in the car were hurt at all, but he's out quite a lot of money from it.
Seriously, a cat? He swerved for Chinese take out? Sorry but your friend is a idiot and should not reproduce.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your rover is only 5000 lbs? you must have the stripped down racing model seriously though I have never hit a deer but I sure hope I am driving the rover and NOT my car if I ever do.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Deer Jerky?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

your rover is only 5000 lbs? you must have the stripped down racing model seriously though I have never hit a deer but I sure hope I am driving the rover and NOT my car if I ever do.
Dry weight on my Rover according to the owner's manual is 2216Kg. When multiplied by 2.2 to convert to pounds that comes up to 4875 Lbs. I'm not sure where people got the 6000 Lb. number that seems to be so popular. Gross weight on the truck is only 6017 which would leave you 17 pounds of cargo capacity if the truck really weighed 6000.

NEVER EVER swerve to miss a animal, EVER, slow down and keep the wheel, straight.
In my personal vehicle I will slow down to avoid an animal. In my tractor trailer for work I tend to accelerate so I can make sure it doesn't suffer. I was surprised how solid a porcupine is when it gets run over by a semi. Best part of running over the porcupine is that it squished like a grape and the mechanic did an oil change the next day.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm I guess I was thinking of GVW and not dry weight

Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Spike555

ORIGINAL: hazletbassist89

Seriously, a cat? He swerved for Chinese take out? Sorry but your friend is a idiot and should not reproduce.

I'm not sure which I'd rather do, kill a cat, with my girl in the car, or hit a telephone pole.

Both would likely have the same result upon me physically.

Quick Reply: Deer