Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Windshield?

Just had 2001 disco windshield replaced. The new windshield has metal filaments throughout. Looks like it may be for antenna or heating purposes...not sure. Are these filaments normal? The windshield has a Land Rover etching on it, and it came from a dealer. The problem is it creates a massive glare at night and in the rain. I don't think the previous glass had these filaments, but really don't remember asI hadn't noticed them and never had a glare.
Is this a defective windshied?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

wow, so they installed the wrong windshield huh?
Well you can sell that one for about $1500, your windshield is about $500.
Yes those are heating elements, it was a option on DII's, it works like the rear defroster, there is a switch on the dash that turns them on to defrost/defog the glass.
If it really bothers you I would have it replaced.
If you have a toll booth transponder it wont work with this windshield.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks,
Anyone interested in a windshield with heating filaments?
i don't need it here and the glare is really distracting on the highway.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the heater elements around the edge of the windshield? I've never hear anyone saying they could actually see the elements. I'm really confused how the elements could be causing the glare. That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Are the heater elements around the edge of the windshield? I've never hear anyone saying they could actually see the elements. I'm really confused how the elements could be causing the glare. That doesn't make sense to me.
My 2001 has the heated front windscreen, and if I look really closely, I can see the heating elements. I don't understand the glare either though. They don't really bother me.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine are noticeable as fine, wavy vertical lines. They were distracting to me at first at night, but since the first few weeks, I never notice them. Heated windshield works great on frosty mornings. If your truck has the ability to power it and has the switch, I'd be inclined to keep the heated windshield.

Dave

Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well depending on how good a persons eye sight is...and if there is a protective coating that was put on to protect it in shipping that was not cleaned off...take it to the automatic car wash and have them do the full service wash, inside and out.
See if that helps.
I wear glasses, without them the glare from traffic lights and on coming traffic make it almost impossible for me to drive at night.
Those wires are extremely thin but a 20 yr old will se them better than a 40 yr old, just the way it is.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Those wires are extremely thin but a 20 yr old will se them better than a 40 yr old, just the way it is.
*sigh* I'm closer to 40 :-)

But my vision is still 20/17 according to my latest flight physical! My wife calls me "eagle eye" and makes me drive at night or in the rain. I suppose that's better than being called "one eye", especially because my last name is Johnson.

ahh...I digress.

Dave

Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Sharp, you are stuck with the windshield, the chance of removing it without cracking it is better then 80%.
Many of us have the heated windshield and none of us have a glare issue with it.

Geo,
Long time no see or here!!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling

I kept the heated windshield, is there anyway to know if it works. How does it work? I didn't have the option originally.

Quick Reply: Defective Windshield?