Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delayed/Hanging/Slow 1-2 and 2-3 shifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2003 SE7 Delayed/Hanging/Slow 1-2 and 2-3 shifts

I've got hanging 1-2 shift that recently developed on my 2003 D2.

It doesn't SOUND like it's SLIPPING OR FLARING. in that I don't hear that typical Slipping/flaring increase in engine RPM as the transmission shifts from 1 to 2 , and then again from 2 to 3.

I FEEL the hanging shift. As I am accelerating, and feel that slight push back into the seat, that G Force sensation briefly stops for a second or two while the transmission makes the shift. This is a new-to-me truck,...was shifting OK when I got it about 5 months ago. Odometer shows 155K, but I suspect true miles are higher. I didnt notice until I had owned the truck for several months that the title showed 169K when the prior owner bought it, and,....the odometer is Flashing now, indicating possible tampering.

When the odd hanging shift began, I did a partial drain and refill (about 6 quarts of Castrol DEX/MERC),....and had zero change (not better, not worse)

I had similar problems on my 02 Explorer and My 03 Volvo Cross Country. Both were remedied with Shift servo mods.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it something that might be adjusted out or or a modified shift servo piston (Explorer) or updated servo cap (Volvo),....

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins; 10-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How many miles on the tranny, when was it last serviced and what fault code numbers do you have?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on the tranny, when was it last serviced and what fault code numbers do you have?
Miles are 155K(Indicated) or more (I suspect prior owner or dealer tampered with ODO).

After the trans began having this 1-2/2-3 shift anomoly, I did a drain and refill (about 5.5 quarts) with Castrol Dex/Merc. No change for better or worse.

My Explorer (att 154K) exhibited similar shift issues with a noticeable shift FLARE, this is recognised, and often fixed by replacing the stock Trans Shift Servo Piston with a modified servo Piston. I installed that mod and problem fixed.

My Volvo AWD V70XC had similar probs, with huge netral gaps between gears, engine rpm flares, then banging into gear........An updated trans shift servo CAP ($27) is the recognised fix on those cars.

So Wondering if there might be a similar fix for the D2s??

Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quit think about your other vehicles when trying to figure out your D2.
What di the fluid look like when you drained it, was it brown and or burned?
What about fault code numbers?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Winching

I referenced my Volvo and Explorer Mike to indicate to you and others that, 1) I'm fairly savvy and always do my own work (I'm a prior Mercedes Benz/ Nissan Service manager and owned a European Auto and motorcycle restoration business for 20+ years), and that I have have had similar issues fixed 100% on two vehicles that were proclaimed as needing a new transmission, by thinking outside the box and researching the issue.

No codes, or I would have mentioned that and of course, the fluild was burned. Yes, I'm hip to the "transmission began slipping after after a fluid drain and refill or flush"....but that was NOT the case here. The Hanging shift was present BEFORE the drain and refill and there was NO change after the drain and refill. I'm aware that I have only changed about half the total volume of fluid, and that was intentional to minimize the potential "slipping after a flush" phenomena.

Brian

PS,....I edited my initial post to reflect most of this info.

Last edited by bcolins; 11-09-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Sounds like you may have a couple of shift solenoids acting up. As for the burned fluid, might want to consider another drain and refill while adding a bottle of Lucas Tranny additive, which may fix that issue.
I was asking about codes, cause for what you are describing, you should have at least 2 fault codes in the 700 range, don't understand why you don't.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Winching

Sounds like you may have a couple of shift solenoids acting up. As for the burned fluid, might want to consider another drain and refill while adding a bottle of Lucas Tranny additive, which may fix that issue.
I was asking about codes, cause for what you are describing, you should have at least 2 fault codes in the 700 range, don't understand why you don't.
Well, I'll qualify that that saying that I have no CEL light. I'll do a check for codes in a bit to see if anything is pending.

After my drain and refill, I had a CEL light upon start up and driving. I assumed it was from all the shifting through the gear ranges with low fluid during the refill process that triggered the CEL. I cleared it, and after a 40 mile drive,.....no CEL. Then put another 150 miles on it over the weekend,....no CEL.

Consistent Hanging shift sensation on all 1-2 and 2-3 shifts during light to moderate throttle application. Less noticable under full throttle.

Brian

Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't mean to refer to another vehicle either, but on my wife's VW New beetle, it was the Valve Body. Valves sticking. Maybe try resetting the Adaptations on the Trans and see if it will re-learn smooth shifting?

I'm only suggesting this, and if I'm wrong, I'm sorry...

Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Winching

Mike, I stand corrected. Although I have no CEL on, and no pending codes, I did indeed have P0705 CKT Malfunction code again. When I got the P0705 after the drain and refill procedure, my CEL came on. Wondering now if my CEL burned out,.....or can I have a Trans code without the CEL light? BTW, the P0705 is the only code (1 of 1)

Brian in Austin

Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CEL should not show for those trans issues. The Lucas product seems to do a nice job. Noticeable improvement on my 04.

Quick Reply: Delayed/Hanging/Slow 1-2 and 2-3 shifts