Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DESPERATE need help/input, Service Engine light on, smokin coolant resavoir!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: DESPERATE need help/input, Service Engine light on, smokin coolant resavoir!!

Sean,

There is a reason why the engine coolant got low enough to overheat to begin with. Either the thermostat stuck causing the coolant to boil off, or you have a leak in the coolong system (possibly a head gasket failure).

Further, aluminum engines do not deal well with overheating and are subject to warpage- particularly between the cylinder heads and block. The cooling system leak down test should find this but I wouldn't take it on a long road trip until you know for certain.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DESPERATE need help/input, Service Engine light on, smokin coolant resavoir!!

I want to say THANK YOU all for the replies.. I am learning ALOT, ALOT about all of this from jus this post alone..

the vehicle is at one of the best radiator shop's in town as we speak.. and I'm keepin my fingers crossed... hope everything is okay.. they are going to look for the leak and call me wit an update on this free estimate...

but with that said and DONE>> i must prepare for the worst...

I leave for the road trip this friday!!!

1. if it is a head gasket issue.... whats the worst that could happen if i drive this down 1200 miles.. obviously keepin an eye on coolant level and toppin off when necessary.. ??? obviously i would have it repaired before i bring it back up.. but in essence i jus need to get it down there.. <---surely the evidence no i say HOPEFULLY it can't be a blown gasket or dropped liner as there would be clear evidence of this right? i.e. water in the oil and vice versa or at the very least WHITE smoke out the tailpipe... as of yet. none of those are present...

2. if its a bad thermostat or leak somewhere OTHER then the head gasket, again same scenario?

my thinkin is this.. EVEN if it leaks its so small that it took me months to finally notice... and since this started happenin monday and the Tuffy guy's topped it off, I've been drivin it fine and everything works back to normal... no apparent leak, temp gauge is fine and the SERVICE ENGINE soon light went off and key word... STAYED OFF...

what do you al think? again i only ask because of the desperate situation i'm in....aka pressed for time like no other...

any and all INPUT appreciated!

oNe

Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I need head gaskets and mine is just seeping out of the side. I don't go any further than 5 miles from home and have another vehicle. I know it could let loose at any time. Same for you. It could let go halfway there and then you are stuck. Please note that if you drop a liner, your block is done. You will need a new motor. period.

If it is something else, like a hose or radiator, fix it before you go. If it is the thermostat sticking,, same thing. I guess what I am trying to tell you is that you should fix the leak before you make your trip, but if you don't keep your eyes glued to the temp gauge and check your coolant level every chance you have. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean you are ok. With cooling issues, if the truck gets so hot the CEL is triggered, most times you have a really big problem.

Good

Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sean Price

I want to say THANK YOU all for the replies.. I am learning ALOT, ALOT about all of this from jus this post alone..

the vehicle is at one of the best radiator shop's in town as we speak.. and I'm keepin my fingers crossed... hope everything is okay.. they are going to look for the leak and call me wit an update on this free estimate...

but with that said and DONE>> i must prepare for the worst...

I leave for the road trip this friday!!!

1. if it is a head gasket issue.... whats the worst that could happen if i drive this down 1200 miles.. obviously keepin an eye on coolant level and toppin off when necessary.. ??? obviously i would have it repaired before i bring it back up.. but in essence i jus need to get it down there.. <---surely the evidence no i say HOPEFULLY it can't be a blown gasket or dropped liner as there would be clear evidence of this right? i.e. water in the oil and vice versa or at the very least WHITE smoke out the tailpipe... as of yet. none of those are present...

2. if its a bad thermostat or leak somewhere OTHER then the head gasket, again same scenario?

my thinkin is this.. EVEN if it leaks its so small that it took me months to finally notice... and since this started happenin monday and the Tuffy guy's topped it off, I've been drivin it fine and everything works back to normal... no apparent leak, temp gauge is fine and the SERVICE ENGINE soon light went off and key word... STAYED OFF...

what do you al think? again i only ask because of the desperate situation i'm in....aka pressed for time like no other...

any and all INPUT appreciated!

oNe
After all the post you have to ask if you can drive the truck with bad head gaskets????????
"NO" not less you want to buy an engine.
Make other plans.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Report back with what the radiator shop says. Bear in mind that you've also recently overheated the engine which means a high potential for damage to the heads and gaskets. It is in an unstable condition until both the root cause of the original overheating incident is found and any further damage is conclusively ruled out. You have neither data point right now.

Listen to what the people here are telling you. A 1200 mile trip with a bad head gasket or a compromised cooling system is foolish. If you break down on the road, you could have problems you haven't even considered yet...especially in the winter. Buy a plane ticket or rent a car for a one way trip if you have to but DON'T drive iton the tripuntil the aforementioned data points are conclusively determined and fixed. Period. Hands down.

Regards,
Dave

Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if this guy listened? or if he is now in the market for a new motor?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: howellja

I wonder if this guy listened? or if he is now in the market for a new motor?
I think he went to Mexico with it. A new motor may be the least of his worries.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, he didn't take any advice and is stranded in Mexico.

https://landroverforums.com/m_47733/tm.htm

Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Yeah, he didn't take any advice and is stranded in Mexico.

https://landroverforums.com/m_47733/tm.htm
Oh, man. I missed that post. The last I read, he was more worried about getting good gas in Mexico than about the fact that he was loosing coolant and may have killed his engine. Amazing.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy

yeah, it is amazing how people ask for advice, but don't follow. He was still doing it in that post. He will order the parts and still find he has blown the motor.

Quick Reply: DESPERATE need help/input, Service Engine light on, smokin coolant resavoir!!