Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Detroit Truetrac Front & Rear (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/detroit-truetrac-front-rear-29527/)

therealboss 03-08-2010 10:33 AM

Detroit Truetrac Front & Rear

OK I have a few questions so I thought here would be the best place to ask.

I have a TD5 Disco 2 year 2001 and its an auto, even with AT's on her she finds it very hard to cope with wet grass on steep hills ban will be out driven on grass and mud by my Freelander on road tyres.

Yes I carry a lot of gear in the Disco and the Freelander is empty but in mud and on very wet grass its just useless.

I was thinking of fitting Detroit Truetrac diffs Front & Rear, will this help much?

Is there any way of telling if the Disco has 10 or 24 spline shafts without pulling out a half shaft?

Has anyone here fitted Detroit Truetrac diffs and how would you rate them?

Disco Mike 03-08-2010 10:59 AM

First, if you are running a BFG type AT, they are terrible on anything wet.
As for the lockers, I run a front T.T. and a rear Detroit and can tell you, I would never switch to anything else other then maybe 2 T.T.'s.
Your axles are 24 spline.
If you have any other questions, shout.

Spike555 03-08-2010 11:33 AM

Tires play a HUGE roll.
What tire are you running?
If your "3 amigo's" are on then your traction control wont work.
Does your truck have a CDL that is hooked up?

Here in the States they do not come hooked up on DII's.

diego88m 03-08-2010 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 166439)
I would never switch to anything else other then maybe 2 T.T.'s.

If you have any other questions, shout.

2 t.t. vs detroit in the back? why is that?

therealboss 03-08-2010 01:30 PM

Sorry, yes it has BFG A/T's on it and Landrover did not fit CDL on my model and from what I can see, I don't think any of the bits are on the Trans box.

So the Truetrac Front & Rear should be OK, its a shame that the BFG's have only just been replaced in Dec 09 so they will have to do for a while.

I was using the disco 95% on road and was doing 30,000 miles a year, just bought a van so the Disco will only be doing about 2000 miles a year now but will be used on farm land and some mountains.

Spike555 03-08-2010 04:21 PM

Fitting the CDL will be cheaper and you will get better traction.

Disco Mike 03-09-2010 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by therealboss (Post 166489)
Sorry, yes it has BFG A/T's on it and Landrover did not fit CDL on my model and from what I can see, I don't think any of the bits are on the Trans box.

So the Truetrac Front & Rear should be OK, its a shame that the BFG's have only just been replaced in Dec 09 so they will have to do for a while.

I was using the disco 95% on road and was doing 30,000 miles a year, just bought a van so the Disco will only be doing about 2000 miles a year now but will be used on farm land and some mountains.

Here is a picture of your t/case, look for the round plate, held down by 3 bolts and the shift nipple in the center of it. If you have that you can hook up a linkage and engage the CDL, without it you can't use lockers although you can add it to your current t/case.
As for the T.T.'s front and rear, they work well together and cost less and don't require any HD axles other the stock 24 spline.

Disco Mike 03-09-2010 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to send you the pcture, let me know what you find.

therealboss 03-09-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 166586)
Here is a picture of your t/case, look for the round plate, held down by 3 bolts and the shift nipple in the center of it. If you have that you can hook up a linkage and engage the CDL, without it you can't use lockers although you can add it to your current t/case.
As for the T.T.'s front and rear, they work well together and cost less and don't require any HD axles other the stock 24 spline.

Mike

Just had her up on a lift, and the CDL is not fitted, the t/case is flat and NOT machined out with that flat that the CDL is bolted to.

Is it a big job to fit a CDL t/case or is it a job better given to someone that has done it before?

Also, do you happen to know the part No of the CDL part of the t/case so I can startt looking.

I know where there is a D2 TD5 with fire damage but it's manual not an auto like mine, is it the same t/case on the manual model?

therealboss 03-10-2010 02:32 AM

bump...