Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my 180 stat and flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The best way to dispose of the old anti freeze is to ask your local quick lube or autoparts store if they will take it.
Most do.
You can cheat and add it to your waste oil and when you take that in it will be mixed together and they will not know the difference.
It all goes to the same recycling place and is recycled together so mixing it is no big deal.
You just cannot mix brake fluid with waste oil because brake fluid is corrosive.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

What are your temps?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I don't have an ultra gage so I don't know for sure but when I get a chance I will take some readings with other devices and I should know

Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well... I made the mistake of taking my Disco to the Kwik Car to have the coolant system flushed.
Before flush:
208.4 with factory thermostat.
after flush (same stat) 218-221... After the idiot almost blew my truck up when he was trying to fill it... I had to show him how to bleed the air out... needless to say, I was NOT happy.
Took the truck home.. let it cool for a bit, grabbed a beer, went out to remove the old stat and replace with 180 that had been sitting around.

Once I finally got those hose clamps off (btw, what is the best tool to remove those pinch type clamps on the hoses? The vise-grips I was using were NOT working)... Remove the old stat, there were chunks of stop leak in it (much like I found in my heater core when I flushed that out a bit ago).

Got the new 180 stat in (and those damned hose clamps. actually the trick i did to put them back on was take them all the way off, grab with vise-grips... wrap a zip tie around them in the open position, put back on, get the thermostat hoses and stat itself seated properly, then cut the zip ties)

Tried to bleed by (parked on an incline, nose up) removing bleed screw, lifting expansion tank, filling... I was never able to get coolant out of the bleed screw. closed everything back up.. took for a spin... Ultra-gauge read 199... lowest i've ever seen it.

Let it sit over night... did the same bleed procedure this morning... got a little coolant out of the bleed screw, and received the nice waterfall behind the dash after running to work.

Guess I need to keep at it a few more days to get rid of the sound.

Moral of the story... don't go to the stupid kwik car for a flush... they are clueless... The good news, it finally got me to install the 180... bad news, i still have my knocking at operating temperature..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Wow this is why I don't take my cars to mr lube or quick lube. I recently started doing my own maintenance with the help of this site. And I love it. I know what I'm putting in and it's fun to do it yourself I found bleeding the system is the easiest thing I've ever done lift reservoir as high as you can keeping it half full and in no time you will get tons of coolant out of your bleed screw
U should have bought a flush solution and ran it in your system for 10 min or so then do a water flush maybe 2 3 times to make sure it's all clean then put your new 180 stat in then fill it with nice green coolant done. U paid for the flush then when u removed your stat u pretty much lost all your coolant.
Btw take out those clamps and just use gear clamps much much easier