Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn't pass inspection..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didn't pass inspection..........

No codes on my OBD scanner, but when inspection station hooked up their scanner they got: Catalyst not ready, Evap not ready and O2 sensor not ready.

Just replace both coil packs and new pads on brakes all the way around.
Disco seems to be running smoothly, no SES light...etc.

Mechanic at garage says must fix two of the three, but couldn't say which O2 sensor, or if Catalyst meant Catalitic converter...

How do I tell which O2 sensor, does Evap mean the canister, or could it mean other parts of the Evap system?

Help Please...Thank you

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised you scanner does not check the emissions inspection items (forgot the name, my cheap scanner checks them). The only time I get those errors on an ODB scanner is when I have active or historic O2 codes. I wonder if there is a pending O2 code that your scanner is not seeing as active yet. Testbook, blackbox, or hawkeye data would be nice to see.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure, but those devices being "not ready" probably mean they have not yet completed some kind of diagnostic checks (you are checking the codes with the engine off, right ?).

IMO It doesn't mean that they are faulty, since there doen't seem to be any logged faults. Sometimes when I check the codes on my 2004, those status icons are flashing and from the scanner manual it means that they are being diagnosed.

Hope it helps.

Franky

Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
TReK

A cheap $40 actron (or whatever) should run those diagnostics also. My cheapo scanner will say not ready when a diagnostic fails. It is just surprising a code has not popped up yet, could be pending and your scanner not seeing it yet, though I'm not too sure of that.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by icyhot201
No codes on my OBD scanner, but when inspection station hooked up their scanner they got: Catalyst not ready, Evap not ready and O2 sensor not ready.

Just replace both coil packs and new pads on brakes all the way around.
Disco seems to be running smoothly, no SES light...etc.

Mechanic at garage says must fix two of the three, but couldn't say which O2 sensor, or if Catalyst meant Catalitic converter...

How do I tell which O2 sensor, does Evap mean the canister, or could it mean other parts of the Evap system?

Help Please...Thank you
Your mechanic is a idiot, if he does not know what a catalyst is I would turn and run as fast as I could.
All those codes mean is that you need to drive the truck some more, nothing needs to be fixed.
The computer is like a caller ID, the first number gets moved down when a new call comes in, the trucks computer is the same way.
Everytime you drive that drive cycle is moved down, this repeats everytime you drive.
Eventually the computer will get a average of how you drive and it will tune the engine to best suit your driving style.
All fuel injected cars do this.
If you only drive short trips or only a couple times a week it will take longer to get the average.
Until the average is set it will come up as "not ready", just like if you were to clear your call history.
Make sense?
So go drive your truck around, a nice long expressway trip works really well.
Head 30 miles in one direction, shut the engine off, get a ice cream cone, drive home.
It usually takes 400 miles or 50 drive cycles to get a good average.
BUT you MUST drive it for more than a few miles each time.

There is a quicker way to set the drive cycle but I cant remember what it is.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
TReK

That was not my experience but it could be an explanation. When I changed my bad O2 sensors out and scanned my truck (without driving it). The diagnostics ran fine, there was no driving required to get all the tests to pass.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lipadj46
That was not my experience but it could be an explanation. When I changed my bad O2 sensors out and scanned my truck (without driving it). The diagnostics ran fine, there was no driving required to get all the tests to pass.
I could be blowing smoke, I've done it before.

This is how it was explained to me for a different car that I owned as well as to my dad because he had problems with a Pontiac and everytime the battery went dead he had to reset the drivecycle.

So it may be different for a Rover, but I do know that the ECU is of the learning type.

I will just go away now.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
TReK

Well I'm sure there is more to it than either of us know but I just can't see a engine management system that would fail a diagnostic due to not driving enough. I could be wrong though.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

I dont know either.
But I think we can both agree that is mechanic does not know what he is talking about.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
I dont know either.
But I think we can both agree that is mechanic does not know what he is talking about.
Yeah agreed

Quick Reply: Didn't pass inspection..........