Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Swap Free of Smog Ville ;_)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Swap Free of Smog Ville ;_)

Ok I'm sure the two chaps from the UK are going to pipe in like the two old fellows from the muppet show balcony. I'm about 8 weeks out without an oil burner of some sort in the car port (I run B99 through Viton lines). I live in an area were smoging the vehicle isn't an issue. My friendly neighborhood LR mechanic has plenty of D1 and D2 shells laying around. Are my suspicions true were all the proper mounting points hiding under the hood for the 200 and the 300? Any STFA posts are welcome too as my feelings aren't easily hurt ;_) plus I'm sick of my B berry getting hit over alerts on how to squeeze more MPG out of the "4.0" follow Mike and Spikes advice and thats all she wrote be grateful if any of you folks live near sea level. Happy trails this weekend and keep your hands in your rover you wouldn't believe some of the scary crushed fingers I've seen in Tahoe!

Old 07-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes a 200 and a 300 and drop it in bolt it up and you are good to go engines.
If you can get one then go for it, the only problem that I can see is the ECU, the 200 is a mechanincal engine, meaning all it needs to run is air and diesel, no electricity, no ECU, just air and fuel, the 300 is a electronic engine, it needs a ECU.
The 300 has more power, I dont know how much more, but more.
The reason a diesel conversion is so expensive for us is the cost of the shipping of the engine, you can buy the engine cheap used, but shipping is the down side and I dont think they will let you bring it as carry on.
If you source a engine state side then you are needing a way to mate the engine to the trans, a non Rover ECU and other hassles that just make it not worth the hassle.
So if you can get a LR diesel then the rest of us will drool.
Now if you could only get your hands on the MPI engine you could really be different!!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you were going to do this, a D1 with a non electronic tranny is the better way to go. The down side, the state of California won't let you register it, no matter where you live, smog or no smog regulations.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

There is away around the regsitration...you can register it to me...and then I let you drive it.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok I'll bite the auction site that shall not be named had a few complete setups available. I don't have a single firearm legal in CA so I'll stick in NV with rural no smog. My Benz was completely manual while one sensor could cripple my 7.3l powerstroke. If a line vac shook off the Benz you would diesel on forever fortunately there was the big red panic lever on the top of the engine to kill the rack. So to make a long story short the UK Diesel doesn't get along with any USA trannys/electronics.
I've got to get this thing built so I can give it to Spike asap!!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JMON
I've got to get this thing built so I can give it to Spike asap!!
You are my new best friend.

The following users liked this post:
Lowcoe (01-21-2017)
Old 07-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling

One more thing what's a MPI engine? Military spec grey market?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JMON
One more thing what's a MPI engine? Military spec grey market?
I was hoping like hell somebody woudl ask...it is a 4 cylinder engine for your DI, yes, thats right, 4 cylinder!!!!
Overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, no clutch fan...you think your Disco is under powered...4 CYLINDERS!!!!

M ulti
P ort
I injection

Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Brain Burger

HAH !! I love trivia like this just like some people collect baseball cards I collect car/ truck info in my noggin and the parts in the garage. Thanks Spike duly noted and stored into the part of my brain were I keep my monster pile of car/truck knowledge.
Just as a note my SIM card fried in my BB Curve so I'm waiting for the big brown truck to arrive With my new B Berry I'm not blowing everyone off.
Thanks again Spike for a fresh brain burger.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Pile on the Moving Parts !

Originally Posted by Spike555
I was hoping like hell somebody woudl ask...it is a 4 cylinder engine for your DI, yes, thats right, 4 cylinder!!!!
Overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, no clutch fan...you think your Disco is under powered...4 CYLINDERS!!!!

M ulti
P ort
I injection
I'll take our 4.0(and a Jerry can) all day long for a little extra grunt. More moving parts equals more parts to break. A few of my Yoda buddies were using more X-Fer cases Daisy chained together. M.C. trannies and absurdly low gears in their axels as well as lockers all around. Oh yeah add in some 37" MTR,s in the mix too!! Long story short My buddies weld shop in Carson and the drive train guy next to him in the industrial complex. see a fair amount of of these crawlers. Oh yeah and to my main point this is all hooked up to a 20r 0r 22r YIKES !!!

Quick Reply: Diesel Swap Free of Smog Ville ;_)