Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff Lock on '02

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diff Lock on '02

Roverguy, you're the first person I've seen suggest that what you describe will work on an '02. Are you sure this is correct? Can you point me to any directions or information on someone else doing this to an '02?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Roverguy,
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you are completely off on this.
There is no reprograming of the ECU, all the earlier D2 cases with CDL will work fine and any linkage will work, the only differences will be the cost, between the D1 set up for around $150 to the 04 and solenoid set ups in the $450 plus range.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

dont worry andrew, im right. ive done it. get under the car when its cooled off, or youll burn your arm, and feel where i mentioned before. youll feel the stud, get a light before you go under or else youmight end up with your hand in the wrong place. try it.

and mike, please dont doubt me, you might be a retired service manager, but im a current rover master tech. diff lock was deleted in the 03my (from the tbox itself) and when it came back, functional this time in 04, the software WABCO ABS software was enhanced to be less sensitive when diff lock is engaged. no programing is not needed, but will improve off road drivability.

[/align]

Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roverguy, Mike has given me great advice before, so I'm not quick to doubt him...but I'm curious about what you're saying.

Can you describe in more detail what I am looking for and where I am looking? I'm gradually getting to know the truck (did the shocks/springs/front driveshaft/rotoflex installs myself so far), but still definitely a rookie. Of course, a picture would be great if you had one...

If I do find it, what linkage and shifter would I need? Would I buy the parts from an '04?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench

yes, parts for a 04 are what you need. look at the pic, yours will not have the cable shown, but will have the verticle shaft, which is the lock... and i dont know how to attach a pic to this, so wither let me know, or let me have your email, and ill get you a pic that shows what youre looking for.

[/align]

Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a look here all you need to know

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/difflock.html

Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

dont worry andrew, im right. ive done it. get under the car when its cooled off, or youll burn your arm, and feel where i mentioned before. youll feel the stud, get a light before you go under or else youmight end up with your hand in the wrong place. try it.

and mike, please dont doubt me, you might be a retired service manager, but im a current rover master tech. diff lock was deleted in the 03my (from the tbox itself) and when it came back, functional this time in 04, the software WABCO ABS software was enhanced to be less sensitive when diff lock is engaged. no programing is not needed, but will improve off road drivability.

[/align]
I wasn't saying the CDL wasn't deleted, we all know it has been available on all 99's, 2000's and the early 01's, and deleted in the balance of the 01's all 02's and 03's, what I was saying, is that with all the people I know in 4 different Rover clubs who have convert back to a functional CDL system, I don't believe any of them, including myself have been advised or have reprogrammed our ECU's.
Take care,

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench

being advised to, and it being the correct thing to do are very different things. if you have ever used, or seen someone use a T4 and go into SLABS, it will ask you if it is diff lock fitted, the reason for this is the different software, it will not cause a problem with normal driving, just allows the SLABS unit to know if it is in diff lock, and changes its control map of whell slip. it should be done if you are that concerned about off road proformance, as i assume someone going out of their way to add diff lock would be. and it was not deleted from the tbox until 03, when they changed from a Q to a SE suffix in the tbox model number.

[/align]

Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

and it was not deleted from the tbox until 03, when they changed from a Q to a SE suffix in the tbox model number.
Well I dont work for rover as you currently do, butI have to disagree tbh,but im interested to find out where you get this info from, because I can 100% confirm that from approx May 2001 here in the UK NO D2's had "any" of the difflock components in the transfer case, and it remained that way unitilit was re-introduced in the very late 03 and 04 models.

I have several friends with them, ranging from Aug 2001 to april 2003 and none of them have the difflock capability.

The only thing I can see as a "possible" explanation, is that models built in the UK upto may 2001 that were destined for the U.S, didnt get there very quickly and where registered upto 2 years later, unlikely, but I cant see any other way.

Im pretty sure if you went to any garage / car sales place over there and crawled underneath an "02" Disco 2, that you wouldnot find the difflock spigot in the transfer case

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

being advised to, and it being the correct thing to do are very different things. if you have ever used, or seen someone use a T4 and go into SLABS, it will ask you if it is diff lock fitted, the reason for this is the different software, it will not cause a problem with normal driving, just allows the SLABS unit to know if it is in diff lock, and changes its control map of whell slip. it should be done if you are that concerned about off road proformance, as i assume someone going out of their way to add diff lock would be. and it was not deleted from the tbox until 03, when they changed from a Q to a SE suffix in the tbox model number.

[/align]
I have a question, if I have a 99 that has had the CDL reattached, and I am also using lockers, how would this effect my off road abilities? Would it then not allow me to turn off the ABS and TC if I wanted to and would it in any way enhance my crawling thru the rocks?
Thanks for your feed back, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Diff Lock on '02