Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff lock

i have a 96 disco, automatic, gas., When off roading and diff lock is engaged only the two back and one front wheel are turning when slipping in the mud, ect. From my 4x4 expirience i assumed diff-lock meant the axles were locked and all 4 wheels spun at the same rate. After reading the manual it said the difflock locked the front and rear drive shafts so that they spin equally. This was unfarmiliar to me and almost sounded like there was some kind of locker in the transfer case. This is my first rover so i am somewhat unfarmiliar with the 4x4 system. so is my diff-lock workin correctly or is somethin faulty
thanks

-anthony

Old 02-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Winching
Default RE: diff lock

Anthony,

You are correct. Difflock locks the transfer case. Meaning both drive shafts spin equally. So, you can have one front and one rear wheel spinning in difflock. Yes the term is misleading. Some people have differential locks installed which would make all four wheels turn. This is only necessary for extreme off-roading. Your stock set-up works quite well.

Bait

Old 02-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Drifting
Default RE: diff lock

thanks for the help bait
-anthony

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 AM
7th Gear
Default Difflock

Don't forget there are actually 3 differentials in a land rover. At the transfer care ( i believe this is the one you are referring to), commonly known as a centre diff lock. There are also differentials at the front and rear axles. These can also have diff locks fitted, though uncommon for any but hard core to get a front diff lock fitted.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Anthony,
Other then the new Rubicon, no manufacture has made a vehicle that will lock all four wheels. Most jeeps have open diffs as do many others unless installed as an option.
If you want power to all four wheels, as already mentioned, you'll need to install front and rear lockers. If you were to do this, you would need HD axles, most liokely gears and some form of a locker like an ARB, Detroit of TrueTrac, costing in excess of $3000 for all.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Anthony,
Other then the new Rubicon, no manufacture has made a vehicle that will lock all four wheels. Most jeeps have open diffs as do many others unless installed as an option.
If you want power to all four wheels, as already mentioned, you'll need to install front and rear lockers. If you were to do this, you would need HD axles, most liokely gears and some form of a locker like an ARB, Detroit of TrueTrac, costing in excess of $3000 for all.
WRONG!! Just had to say that since you enjoy saying that so much, Mike. The Dodge Power Wagon comes from the factory with front and rear electric lockers, very similar to the Rubicon but in a better looking, more functional vehicle.

Last edited by AK Rover; 05-08-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Drifting

I was thinking the same thing AK. The Power Wagon also has electronic disconnects on the sway bar links.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Got me !!!
Was that standard or an option?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Drifting

They are all standard on the Power Wagon...it also comes with a winch bumper.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AvsRover2000
I was thinking the same thing AK. The Power Wagon also has electronic disconnects on the sway bar links.
So does the Rubicon. The power wagon is a fully loaded 2500 Ram. But I am not sure you can have the cummins engine in the power wagon. Anyways I still think the 2009 Ram 1500 looks better than the 2500. They didn't change the 2500 model yet.

Quick Reply: diff lock