Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diff lock shifter still stuck... new question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default diff lock shifter still stuck... new question

Hope it's ok I started a new thread for this seeing my old thread is a few days old...

I cleaned the linkage and part of it works now... I'm able to move from side to side and get the 4x4 light to come on if the light comes on does that mean the solenoid is working? The up down motion is frozen at the tab on the case... Where is this solenoid? Can I bypass it? Any other ideas, I really want my diff lock working before winter, caused me some issues last winter when I couldn't engage it in 2' of snow...

Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: diff lock shifter still stuck... new question

If you can move it from side to side, your diff lock is working. The shafts are locked when the light is on. You are just not getting into low range..

I think, as earlier stated, there is a solenoid that does not let the T-case shift unless the tranny is in neutral. I am not sure where the solenoid is.

If you are running through snow, just slap it to the left. You are locked. Don't necessarily need low range....

Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Oh really???? I was under the impression you needed the low range to get the 50-50.... Ok so if I slap it to the left... and that light comes on... the truck is locked EG front wheels won't do "nothing," when it's stuck?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

You can lock he t/case in either High Lock or Low Lock. Sounds like you cant;t get into low which would be the solenoid on top of the t/case.
Send me an e-mail and I send you a picture of the t/case and the solenoid.
mikeljacobs@comcast.net

Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem too.. My diff lock won't work. I'm already in neutral. It won't let me change gear.

97 Disco

Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Mudding

the diff lock is mechanical, not electrical. If I can find a picture of the guts I'll post it. Its basically a shaft that screws in and out and when it is in it completes the circuit for the light. I'm sorry I can't help with the low range problem. have you tried it in and out of neutral while moving under 5 mph?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was doing this I would have loved a guide or someone who has done it previously to ask questions. So here is my VERY rough guide. If people would like i'll go to the junkyard and take some pictures of exactly what you need to see.

I took out the center console

took out the 4WD/DIFF lever and linkage

you will then be able to take out the light that lights up your P R N D 3 2 1 lights and put this through the new hole in the middle of your car , it is the PERFECT length

The solenoid will be:

Now you will see something Like this:

So now you remove the 4 bolts holding the cover over the solenoid in.

It should be this simple however land rover put RTV sealant between the cover and the case. This means you will need to squeeze a blow torch down there and start heating it up for a good 30 seconds. I then recomend using a pry bar to start having the cover come up, you may need to use more blow torch

once the cover is off you can pull out the solenoid by the wires (be careful as they are weak)

Unhook the wires (there is a connector) and pull the solenoid out.

After you have it out test it by running 12 volts across it. If this works then you have a working solenoid and ****ty electronics in your disco.

I recommend just putting the cover back on without the solenoid in it, as if you are on this forum, hopefully you realize that engaging 4WD low in drive is bad

This is all I did, however if you have a hard time getting into small places, then I recommend you take out the gear selector, and drill the rivets around the entire middle peice under the console. (you'll know what I mean)

IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK, IF ANYTHING IS UNCLEAR PLEASE ASK, I could not find instructions for this ANYWHERE so hopefully people will find this if they are searching

Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Default diff lock

i have a 97 disco. My diff lock would go High and low but won't go side to side. Does that mean that my diff lock is broken or just need some major cleaning?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Major clean of the shift linkage.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Default diff lock..

what do i need to clean up the shift linkage.
A step by step guide would be nice.. Since I'm really new at this.

Quick Reply: diff lock shifter still stuck... new question