Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diffs won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diffs won't lock

When I first got my 95 Disco 1 the transfer shifter was stuck in 4high after I used it some it loosen up so I could get it in 4wheel low, So I believe the previous owner never used the 4wheel low. Now when I get in 4 wheel low the diffs are not locked it only spins 2 tires it will spin any given two and sometimes 3 but never all 4 and the diff lock light never comes on. What could this be? What controls the diff lock option. Is it elecrtical? I checked all fuses and they are all good? Any help would be apprecitated.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Diffs won't lock

That means it IS working. Land Rover has permanent 4wd, meaning that drive power is given to all four wheels at all times. The diff lock only locks the center differential, this gives an even 50-50 power split between the front and rear differentials--basically, without it locked, if ONE tire loses traction, you can become stuck, but with it split you can hopefully find enough traction on the axle with both tires in traction to be able to move. However, they made a critical error in that the front and rear differentials are limited slip open differentials. This means that on the front and rear axle, if one tire loses traction, it will spin freely and the one with traction will not spin. So, if you are in really deep tractionless area, with a lot of slippage, when you lock the center differential, you will get usually the left rear and right front tires spinning and the other two just sitting there. I think it was stupid for Land Rover not to put in locking front and rear differentials, if its a true off road truck, you need all four wheels moving with traction loss, not just a maximum of two under low traction circumstances. The good news is that any competent off road shop can get you some Detroit lockers to replace your front and rear diffs if you need it! Hope that explained it well enough...oh yeah, the light, it is good when it comes on, but its a finicky thing, sometimes it takes a mile or so for mine to light up, or to extinguish, or it doesnt come on at all. Just kinda wiggle the diff lock shifter into its stall, I have noticed that this sometimes helps it realize it is locked--btw, you should be able to feel the diff lock/transfer case shifting into position when you move the lever, this is the easiest test to see if you are locking or not!

Old 02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said. Mine will buzzzzz at me if it handle
is not all the way in high or low.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Drifting

It is really easy to engage high in mine, semi hard to put low in, and then when you're done for the day it is a pain in the *** to unlock the diff.