Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII COOLANT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII COOLANT?

CanDisco II ownersridthemselves of the Dexcool and run the Prestone (or any of the other brands that say they can mix with any color coolant)? And, can these really mix with the Dexcool, safely? Honestly, I have put a small amount of Prestone or Peakin my '02 a couple of times in the last year and a half, just to top it off, since I had the 60k service done. I have never fully understood this Dexcool stuff and whether or not if was serious or just talk. Please advise.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DII COOLANT?

sure you can run anything you like.

just drain and fill with water and run then flush and repeat until its clear water draining from the system.

then fill with whatever you like. run a 50/50 mix and change every 2 years.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can mix organic (dexcool) with organic (prestone OAT extended life) I assume..I just flushed my system and put in OAT prestone.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Rock Crawling

When you "flush" your coolant from the system, do you use one of the -cut in devices - like what prestone offers?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling

What does "cut in device" mean? I never flushed the coolant system on my ownin this rig, before. Warranty required a "certified shop" do it. I will do it from here on out. I believe I will flush this weekend and replace with Prestone green (for any color/vehicle). I actually had to top it off this morning with some Prestone green OAT as the expansion tank was a little bit low.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

sure you can run anything you like.

just drain and fill with water and run then flush and repeat until its clear water draining from the system.

then fill with whatever you like. run a 50/50 mix and change every 2 years.
NO, you can't run anything other then Dexcool. Your posting that you can run whatever you want is irresponsible and misleading to people who are asking a question.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Mike, since this topic seems to be debated quite a bit, can you provide a bit more insight? I would like to flush the cooling system this weekend. It has almost been two years since the 60k. Some have said Dex-Cool is bad and corrosive and may suck a hole in the o-zone through corroded holes in your engine block. All joking aside, some folks seem to think Dex-Cool is bad from the start - even fresh. I see manybad reports and lawsuits over it. (But then, people sue over anything these days.) I have read that it is and OAT coolant, but seems to be specific in it's blend. A couple of questions:

1. Is it okay to top off a system of Dex-Cool with one of the "universal OAT" coolants from Prestone, Peak, etc. that say they are good for ANY make ANY model in the world that requires an OAT coolant?

2. Is is safe/preferred/bad to flush the cooling system in the DII and replace with one of those "universal OAT" coolants as mentioned above?

Price is not necessarily my concearn with the fluids so much as the cost of the engine/cooling system from running the wrong product. Thoughts/advice please?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Rock Crawling

73S3IP, its a gizmo sold in stores that adds a "T" in the heater plumbing so you can flush your system with a garden hose - then drain!

What about it mike are those ok to use - the cut ins?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling

PS

The superior OAT formula in PEAK Global LifeTime uniquely provides a LifeTime of cooling system protection - for as long as you own your vehicle. When properly installed! Follow directions

OAT is OAT?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:03 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

night, by 'cut ins' I assume you mean those chemical flushes you leave in for 10 minutes. I do not think they are recommended for aluminum block engines. I just flushed my system with water.

Quick Reply: DII COOLANT?