Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII upgrades for off roading

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015 | 05:49 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default DII upgrades for off roading

Hi,

I am looking for advice, I have a 02 Disco 2 and would like to do some off road mods. BUT I was hoping that some of the mbrs here could help me 'prioritize' what I should do. I have already spend $$$$$ on a Safety Devices rack - kinda regret that, lots of money for nothing off roading

I had thought go with:
1. Armour, bumpers, sliders (Tactical rover for all of them)
2. CDL upgrade as the 02 does not have the nipple on the transfer case.
3. Winch? / Hi-Lift jack and accessories

I think that would be the 'end' of the mods for now.

BUT all of you out there have experience and could help me make wiser choice from now on.

For some idea of how I use the LR, it is my daily driver and the family and I also use it as our primary get around vehicle. I don't want to take away from that too much (if you know what I mean). I live in Colorado Spirngs, and will be hitting the high country and off road trails. To include some rocky trails, water crossing, and maybe a little mud (not the primary focus). I look forward to reading and learning from your input. Thank you.

Cheers!!

Old 04-16-2015 | 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would say CDL first.

then 1.5" lift with good tires to help with clearing rocks and deeper water.

Then front bumper, just so you can get a winch on there and recovery points

Then rear bumper for recovery points.

Then undercarriage protection. Maybe undercarriage protection should go after lift? But are you more likely to bottom out or get stuck and need recovered?

Then tree guards

then, just keep spending $$$$$

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015 | 09:47 PM
|
Rock Crawling

cybercop, LOL... yes just keep spending $$$ Thank you for the advice, I am looking at the CDL right now... maybe I'll do it myself - but not sure. I guess I should have mentioned that I have put on a 2" Terraferma lift, I am running 18" rims with Nitto Grapplers. I think I may start looking around for new 16" rims (maybe steel) and put on a little taller and more aggressive tire.

I guess just take it slow... I think just get out and enjoy the Rover for what it is! A great off road vehicle to get me out into the high country

Old 04-17-2015 | 06:09 AM
Baja

CDL first,
what spring did you put in?
they will decide what you can use for bumpers, winch and armor.

Last edited by drowssap; 04-17-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2015 | 08:23 AM
Mudding

Tires.

I slapped some 29" BFG Mud Terrains on mine, otherwise stock, and didn't have an ounce of trouble at Rovers at Wintergreen. Lack of CDL can be overcome by using the parking brake.

I would like to have had some armour.....sliders with tree bars for the most part.

Otherwise I was impressed how the stock truck with god tires did.

Old 04-17-2015 | 11:36 AM
Drifting

I'm also in Colorado Springs and have been hitting the trails around here for many years with a small group of Rover owners. Always a family friendly outing and we've done all the major trails including the gulches in mostly stock Rovers. I'll pm you my phone number. Text me if you're interested in joining us and I'll give you more details.

I've had 2 Classics, 2 P38s, 4 DIIs, 2D1s and even Freelander. The following is my experience and what works for me on the trails around here.

Using Hackett Gulch as the measure, I say good tires first. I ran the trail with 18s and Nitto Grapplers so you have that covered. However, those were on a P38 with fully functioning air suspension for a bit more lift. So, I would not try it in a Disco without at least a 1.5 inch lift. You've got that covered too.

The first mod to my latest DII was CDL. Traction control is great except when it fails. I don't go out in a DII without at least an ABS amigo on board.

I always have sliders as the next thing on my list, but never actually put them on anything. I can certainly see the benefit with our rocky terrain though.

I recovered once with a winch and once with a Hi Lift/which kit. The Hi Lift would have worked fine in both cases. As the Hi Lift is more versatile, that's my choice now. Just know it's going to be slow.

You will appreciate the SD rack if you go camping and carry lots of gear. Sold my SD rack years ago so I could park in my garage but, I can't find anything else as secure when carrying camping gear.

-Brad

clint70 (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015 | 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would do good tires first and a lift if its required to get the tires you want. If traction control is working right it will get you down plenty of those dry alpine trails. Honestly when I added a cdl to mine it was not quite as dramatic an improvement as I had imagined.

Old 04-17-2015 | 03:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94svt50
I would do good tires first and a lift if its required to get the tires you want. If traction control is working right it will get you down plenty of those dry alpine trails. Honestly when I added a cdl to mine it was not quite as dramatic an improvement as I had imagined.
That's been my experience as well. I often take the same obstacle with and without the center diff locked just to compare. There is a difference but, not dramatic. I consider the CDL as part of the gear I take along just in case I might need it.

clint70 (04-18-2015)