Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 1 Front Drive Shaft on a Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco 1 Front Drive Shaft on a Disco 2

First off, this thread is not about wanting to put a d1 front prop shaft on a d2. This is a thread about taking my prop shafts off my d2 and finding a d1 front prop shaft.

I'm a bit confused. Why would someone do this? What damage could it have caused, and I have the U-joints to replace on it, but the question is more along the lines of "will it work?"

I don't want to have to buy another drive shaft, but I will if keeping the d1 front drive shaft up front will hurt it. I already bought the centering kit and enough U-joints for d2 front and back prop shafts, so I could buy a used one and rebuild it.

What challenges would there be to keeping this prop shaft? I've heard people rave about how great a double cardon prop shaft is. Why is that?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that a D1 shaft has to be used with a D1 output flange. So I would guess that maybe someone put a complete D1 T-Case in at some point probably to add CDL shifting capability in the truck. Did someone already do the CDL shifter upgrade?

They may have just replace the output flange.

Last edited by Jared9220; 08-01-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Interesting. As mentioned above....does it have the d1 shifter set up?

That set up is fine. Not problematic. You would have to get out put flange if you want to swap.

I have my original shaft that I rebuilt a while back. If you are interested in rebuilding one and swapping, I will let you have it for shipping. Your call

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

My buddy Don used a D1 front d-shaft on his D2 without issue. I wouldn't, but it's possible(modification required)

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dusty1
Interesting. As mentioned above....does it have the d1 shifter set up?

That set up is fine. Not problematic. You would have to get out put flange if you want to swap.

I have my original shaft that I rebuilt a while back. If you are interested in rebuilding one and swapping, I will let you have it for shipping. Your call
You're awesome! Let me make sure I get what you're offering, correct. you have a freshly rebuilt D2 front driveshaft you'd trade for a freshly rebuilt D1 driveshaft? The only problem would be that I have a D1 mount on my transfer case and I don't think a D2 driveshaft would work there. Check me on that, though.

Here's the parts of my drive shafts without the U-joints. The parts are all clean and ready to be rubbed in grease, fitted with new U-joints(which I have) and put into service.

Here's my transfer case:

Name:  IMG_1597_zps4dbf9b86.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1602_zpsf7100402.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1601_zps74aa8ae1.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  144.6 KB

It looks like someone put a D1 mount on the D2 transfer case. I was excited for a moment thinking I had a D1 transfer case in there and I already had a CDL installed. Wrong...

Old 08-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RSPTex

Here's my transfer case:

It looks like someone put a D1 mount on the D2 transfer case. I was excited for a moment thinking I had a D1 transfer case in there and I already had a CDL installed. Wrong...
I'm confused, the transfer case you show in that picture clearly has the CDL locking nipple?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Not exactly what I was offering.
I have a d2 shaft. I rebuilt it and used it for about 1.5 years.
If you want it you can have it. It would be up to you if you want to rebuild it again.
I don't need a shaft in trade.
This is if you want to convert back to d2 shaft

Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
I'm confused, the transfer case you show in that picture clearly has the CDL locking nipple?
There's no way to twist the **** and the **** mount is from a d2. What locking nipple are you referring to? Could you circle it on the picture, or show a non-locking CDL picture?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dusty1
Not exactly what I was offering.
I have a d2 shaft. I rebuilt it and used it for about 1.5 years.
If you want it you can have it. It would be up to you if you want to rebuild it again.
I don't need a shaft in trade.
This is if you want to convert back to d2 shaft
Thanks! Would I need to put the D1 flange on it? I'll shoot you a PM to get details.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default CDL nipple

Strangely, it doesn't look like the nipple was connected. I'm guessing the front shaft failed, took out the tranny, and they replaced it with a D1 tranny/xfer case and prop shaft. That would explain the torque converter, too.

Attached Thumbnails Disco 1 Front Drive Shaft on a Disco 2-delete.jpg  

Quick Reply: Disco 1 Front Drive Shaft on a Disco 2