Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 - alarm/immobiliser not arming?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 - alarm/immobiliser not arming?

Hi. New member here. Picked up a 2001 Disco 2 GS last night (first Disco I've owned) - so far, so good! Apart from one little thing that I've noticed ...

Both key fobs work perfectly well to lock/unlock the vehicle, but when I lock it I don't think the alarm and immobiliser are arming properly (I don't get the three indicator flashes that I believe I should see, and the LED on the dash doesn't start flashing). When I unlock the vehicle again, though, the indicators do give one flash, which I understand to be the signal that the alarm is disarmed. When I lock it with the key in the driver's door (which, if I understand correctly, should arm everything apart from the interior movement sensors), the indicators give a single flash (which I understand is correct), but the dash LED doesn't start flashing.

I got my other 'arf to sit in the vehicle last night and wave her arms about after I locked it with the fob, which should've set the alarm off - but nothing .

So - anyone got any ideas what might be causing the alarm to not arm itself properly?

Sorry to be jumping straight in with a question!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Waving her arms about won't do squat unless you super lock the truck.
If you try to lock the truck with a door open does the horn honk, if so quit worrying about it.
So, how about past and current services needed, might want to look at my major service list posted at the top of this section and do them all, especially the front drive shaft inspection/replacement or repair if you don't have 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 front u-joints.
What are you planning on using the Disco?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If memory serves, the owner's manual says super lock can be disabled by
dealer. Perhaps previous owner had this done.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Or, perhaps since he has only owned it one day, he is not familiar with the super lock system and just thought the sensors would pick up the waving arms when only in the standard lock position.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Point well stated. Gareth, super lock requires a "double click" of key fob. You can down load owner's and repair manuals at landroverresource.com

Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for your replies, Nick & Mike.

Indeed, having only been a Discovery owner for a little over 24 hours now, I'm still kinda finding my way around stuff. It's going to be a bit of a learning curve in some respects, I think, but that's fine!

I've read the blurb in the handbook about 'superlock' - didn't realise it was a two-presses-of-the-button affair, though, I got the impression that locking the vehicle from the remote always engaged 'superlock' mode.

As for locking the truck with a door open ... I tried that earlier. With the driver's door open, nothing happens - no honking, no flashes, nothing locks. With the back door open, all the locks drop as usual including the open door, which then slam-locks when it's shut (still no honks or flashes).

Mike, thanks for the pointer to the list of suggested service items to address. The truck I bought has a fairly good service history, in the sense that they're all there in the record book but there's no actual itemised record of what's been done. It's had an oil and filter change (as well as a new fuel filter) very recently, but pretty soon I'm thinking about giving it a really thorough service to change all fluids and filters just to bring it right up to speed. It has an advisory item on its last MoT test for slight play in the nearside front wheel bearing, too, so that's something else I want to get done rather than having it potentially get worse over time.

I know this forum is across on the other side of the Atlantic from me, but good advice transcends international boundaries .

Old 07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Administrator

If the horn doesn't honk, then there is a problem. Wait on trying to fix it till you have gone all over the truck.
Never trust old service records. What color are the plug wires and have you checked the front drive shaft to make sure there is 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints?

Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
have you checked the front drive shaft to make sure there is 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints?
No, but that's mainly because I have no idea what you're talking about! (Well, a little - but not much.)

What am I looking for when I get underneath? Bearing in mind that this is the first 4x4 I've owned, not just the first Disco ...