Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 94 overheating at high altitude.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disco 94 overheating at high altitude.

Hi!

Yesterday I had an overheated experience at high altitude. 7 of my friends and I got in to my Disco and started climbing to a volcano. The car showed its power until about the 3000 meters above sea level (about 10,000 feet above sea level), and then it started overheating.... Stopped the car and left the engine running until the temp was normal. Then, all my friends went out of the car and I continued climbing alone. After 1 minute, the car again was overheated. Then, again, waited until the car was at normal temp and continued alone again. I repeated the same procedure until I was in the top of the volcano.... I remember that I tried to squeze the big hose that is in the right of the radiator and it had no water pressure. Today I checked it again, and It had a lot more pressure than yesterday.

Yesterday in the morning I did not check the coolant level, but as far as I remember the level has been always right.

After that, I turned off the engine and left it cooling for about 2 hours, and then filled again the water tank. Then we started going down.... and the overheating problem did not appear.

Is it normal to have overheating problems at high altitude? What do you think? Is there any component that is starting to fail in that conditions? I have never had overheating problems before, and the car has been always been driven at 1700 meters above the sea level.

Your feedback will be welcome!!!

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disco 94 overheating at high altitude.

it is never normal for an engine to overheat. i have a 94 and when i load it up and drive through the mountains, the temp stays right in the middle.

if you have to refill the coolant, you are obviously leaking somewhere. find the source of the leak and fix it asap

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Disco 94 overheating at high altitude.

Check for leaks and also replace the thermostat, it could be that it isint opening all the way.
Climbing the hill works the engine and it is going to heat up anyway, but if the t-stat is partialy closed...but the altitude should not affect a closed system.
So check for leaks and then replace the t-stat. It is a cheap and easy thing to replace.