Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Brake pad and rotor recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Brake pad and rotor recommendation

I changed the pads and turned rotors on all four wheels last November and with 9200 mls the pads are shot. I have EBC slotted and cross drilled rotors on the front with stock on the back, the pads are Duralast middle grade so I was not expecting extremely long life but 8 months seemed a bit short. Also, the inside right brake pad was worn more than the outside but even across the pad. Any thoughts or ideas on either issue would be appreciated.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your truck is all screwed up when it comes to brakes. First of all, you can't resurface any rotor for a Disco, they are already too thin and soft, you can't run 2 front EBC rotors with stock disc's in the rear.
Settle on e or the other for rotors, then maybe go to DAP and order some of their EBC pads, clean and lube all the caliper parts so you get better wear, use lots of sound deadening spray and do a full 3 pint brake flush.
If you want to buy a set of brakes, look at Atlantic British they have a sale on right now.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Whats your budget?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Your truck is all screwed up when it comes to brakes. First of all, you can't resurface any rotor for a Disco, they are already too thin and soft, you can't run 2 front EBC rotors with stock disc's in the rear.
I get the fact that I will need to service the calipers and brake system but why do you say the EBC and stock rotors are a problem? The front were out of limits when changed and the rear were still within and I was not aware there would be an issue with rotor replacement as long as the front and rear sets were maintained. Not trying to break the bank but I do want my system operating efficiently.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is absoluty no problem with running different rotors on each axle, as long as each axle has the same kind of rotor and pad you are fine, brakes are brakes, friction material rubbing on steel, nothing more.
The only difference is the type of fricition material.
Some brakes do a better job than others and some last longer than others, but brakes is brakes.
As long as your rotors are fine then just replace the pads, the AutoZone ones may be under warrenty, I dont know.
Just buy the best brakes that you can afford, if you want EBC's fine, they will last longer than the AutoZone ones, other wise either buy the best that AutoZone has to offer or go to NAPA or buy online, its all up to you.
Stay within your budget and youll be fine.
Dont worry about the calipers, a little difference in thickness from the inside to outside pad on the same wheel is normal.
If one pad were down to metal long before the other pad then you have a problem.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

I didn't mention anything about caliper service. I said you can not mix slotted rotors, with more stopping power with non slotted conventional rotors.
All the strain on the brakes will be on the fronts and wear them out quicker then normal.
Also, there are few pads that work well with a slotted rotor, even any of the OEM pads will wear out quick.
Kevlar pads are really your only option.
By the way, I run DBA's with Kevlar pads, have over 76,000 miles one the same set of pads with a fair amount to go.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
There is absoluty no problem with running different rotors on each axle, as long as each axle has the same kind of rotor and pad you are fine, brakes are brakes, friction material rubbing on steel, nothing more.
The only difference is the type of fricition material.
Some brakes do a better job than others and some last longer than others, but brakes is brakes.
Thanks brother, I figured the Duralast would wear quicker but I was surprised as to how quick. I checked out a full set on Atlantic British and it fits the need so I will probably get those. Thanks for the input fellas.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Which ones? Only pads they sell that work on your EBC's will be their EBC pads and you can get them a lot cheaper from DAP, the other pads will wear out just as before.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cannot see a problem with running slotted discs on the front and not the rear........dont make any difference, the fronts do all the work anyway.......LOADS of cars have slotted fronts and not the rears, its quite a common practice.

What ever pads you use, slotted discs will eat them quicker than standard ones. If you dont drive like a loony, then just fit standard discs / pads and be done with it.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Which ones? Only pads they sell that work on your EBC's will be their EBC pads and you can get them a lot cheaper from DAP, the other pads will wear out just as before.
The rotors are due for a change as the right side EBC is at the limit and the left side rear stock rotor is also. I found a brake rebuild kit with rotors, pads and the screws for 299.95 on British Atlantic, the rotors are identified by part number and I cross referanced it as OEM equipment with another manufactured by Allmakes. The pads are Lockheed OEM as well and both was carried by D.A.P. but not as a rebuild kit. The price was right and based on my research it looks like I am getting quality equipment so I'll give it a shot and note the wear and performance from them.

Quick Reply: Disco Brake pad and rotor recommendation