Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco on E-bay,is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
KgB
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco on E-bay,is it worth it

New to Land Rovers does this look like a deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Disco on E-bay,is it worth it

Looks like a good deal to me. I would low-ball them on the price and remind them that gas is expensive and that it requires premium gas and if they dont have any service records that it may need head gaskets and u-joints.
That being said...premium gas IS required and it gets better MPG when you use it and only costs you $3-$4 dollars more from empty but gets you 50-75 miles more per tank.
The way that it is set up I would have to say that it has been taken care of and that the u-joints have been replaced with greasable ones and that the head gaskets have been replaced.
D2's are prone to coolant leaks, bad ABS sensors and u-joints that explode and destroy the transmission when they go. BUT if they are caught in time then no problem.
Are any idiot lights on on the dash?
Others will post their opions too.
Land Rovers are a love'm or hate'm breed, just like women, you either love them or you hate them.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me likey. The pictures look great, but it's hard to really tell without seeing it.If it has goodcomplete service records, I say yes. Even if it doesn't, nobody puts that much into their truck without maintaining it properly.I always liked white Disco's and that's what I'd like to do tomine someday. It's not too far from me, maybe I'll bid on it. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It almost has the asking price in modifications alone !!!!So unless the t-case, transmission or engine is shut, buy it before I do

Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If it were to be inspected and checked out OK, it is a great deal. If you didn't want the roof rack, you could turn around and sell it for nearly $1000.
Go for it.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Mudding

WOW thats a pretty good deal just go take it for a test drive before you buy it and possibly have a mechanic look at it.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
KgB
4wd Low

Test drive is out since I live in Colorado.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

She sure is pretty.

I would assume that most owners that would do the modifications that have been done to that Disco would understand the importance of their maintenance. The interior looks clean as well.

See if you can find someone in the area to check her out for you.

Also, ask the poster to give you a shot of the dash with the engine running to see if any of the lights are on.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Mudding

I say buy it. Looks like a fantastic deal. That rack along with the other mods. Even silly things like the newer cup holders. My 99 disco 2 didn't come with those. I still have the lame cup holders that when there's a drink in them, block the hvac controls. Buy it, you'll love it!

Do 99 disco's come with jump seats stock?

-W

Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Mudding

At first glance, that's a smokin' deal. The bumper, winch, winch tray, lift, rack, rock slider and mod'ed rear bumper easily cost that owner $5000 if not much more. Then again...those toys are for off roading so this rig might have seen some rugged trail days. Even with $5000 of free mods thrown in, there's no guarantee this rig won't need $5000 in repairs and PM maintenance.

With Rovers...nothing is what it seems. Double that statment with eBay purchases. If it wer me? I'd do it. I bought a 02 for $11,500 and would love to sink $5000 in mods into my rig. In fact...those exact mods.

Quick Reply: Disco on E-bay,is it worth it