Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco I Engine Replacement Inside, A Story To Be Played Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:29 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Thumbs up Disco I Engine Replacement Inside, A Story To Be Played Out

Ok so I think some people remember my trashed engine.

Name:  IMG_0523.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  130.9 KB

Two dropped piston sleeves, and two completely busted pistons that I'm pretty sure is because the previous owner ran 87 octane in the engine.

I felt pretty crappy about the Disco's in general at this point, and the car set for around a month or two. I even started trying to find another car at this point, anything to get rid of that money bucket.

But now I'm back, I could not get rid of my beloved Disco, thats some how wormed its way into my heart and I cannot get rid of her.

So while trying to find another car, I ran into a guy who just happened to have a wrecked Disco I with a good engine that has less than 60k on it. So I went to go pull it out and now I have a new(er) engine.

I want to make this thread because I have yet to find one that chronicles the removal of the Disco I engine, and I so happen to have a shop to be able to chronicle that removal in, instead of a garage or a driveway.

So here we go, Ill try and post up pictures tonight of the engine I bought, that has no dropped sleeves (thank god) and from appearances, nothing else wrong with it.

Now my current questions,
1. Should I touch the head gaskets on the new engine, its been sitting in the car maybe a year, but it turns over smooth as glass
2. Should I replace the water pump right now. If it has metal props, I'd say no, but maybe they are plastic

I hope this can be used as a tool for others, so here you guys and gals go.

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:43 AM
Winching

do you like pain, upset and regret ... are you rich? .... these questions make all the difference to me

if the engine has less than 40k miles... i'd say leave the gaskets... if its higher than that i'd deff... replace the headgasets if the engine is out of the car!!!!.. since it will take you less than 2 hours to tear the gaskets off and 1 day at the machine shop ... its worth it......in the long run, and its much easier when the engine is out to do this!!

this also gives you a chance to replace any parts you'd like such as oil pump gear, gaskets and that water pump.... i'd leave the water pump IMho

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:48 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Ive got three scars from working on cars already and one of them was from removing the engine, so I've already go blood, sweat, and tears in it.

Money is going to be an issue, but I'll cut back somewhere to get this thing back rolling, I really need a good pull vehicle soon.

I might just buy the gasket set from atlanticbritish, and do it, I need about $150 worth of gaskets so I'd just be spending $100 more.

Tell me more about this oil pump gear, does it go bad or something?

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:51 AM
TReK

If you have the money replace all the upper engine gaskets, front cover gasket, oil pan, water pump gasket, front and rear seals. Inspect the lifters, pushrods and valves and replace as needed. I would recommend this because it is a whole lot easier with the engine out as opposed to in. I would not replace the water pump.

Old 01-20-2010 | 11:28 AM

+1 lipad

do the gaskets now, oil pan and water pump gasket. save yourself some real heartache later when the engine is already installed and would need gaskets and such.

Old 01-20-2010 | 12:12 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Oh my other question

The starter motor has a stripped allen head on it, who puts allen headed bolts on a car seriously.

Anyway, any ideas on how to get the bolt off so I can have the starter tested?

Old 01-20-2010 | 01:08 PM
Winching

drill the head off and remove the starter.... since the preload will be removed as soon as head comes off the allen the rest of the bolt and threads should easily spin out to be removed!!!!

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:42 PM
TReK

Not sure the size but you can try an easy out or this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...crew+extractor

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:29 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 03discoman
drill the head off and remove the starter.... since the preload will be removed as soon as head comes off the allen the rest of the bolt and threads should easily spin out to be removed!!!!
I forgot the block is aluminum, so yeah I'll try this, at the very least the block will be cake to retap

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:51 PM
Winching

after you remove the head of the allen bolt the starter will fall away and you'll have plenty of left over bolt neck to grab onto to remove with... retapping shouldnt even happen

Quick Reply: Disco I Engine Replacement Inside, A Story To Be Played Out