Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II (2000) Off Road Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:37 PM
|
Drifting
Default Disco II (2000) Off Road Upgrades

Here are a few options that I'm looking to do on my Disco II (2000).I need real good vendors I found and ordered some of the other stff new bumper/wench etc. But these last ones are hard to find, well at least anyone who has added them to their Disco II.

1. Upgraded exhaust system to allow deeper water emersion of Disco II.
2. Turn key solution for a 3' lift kit.
3. Skid plates.
4. Upgraded fuel cell , looking for a 40 gallon.

Thanks Thomas

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:58 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Disco II (2000) Off Road Upgrades

An upgraded exhaust is not needed for a deep water crossing, how deep do you think you are going to go?
How big a tire are you going to to require a 3" lift, most 3" lifts won't allow you to park in your garage. What sort of wheeling are you planning on doing?
Don't run skid plates, they are a waist of time and just add weight to your truck.
With all the years I have owned or been with Rover, I have never seen a larger tank made, plus it would be a huge target for a big rock.

So now I have a few questions for you. How much wheeling have you done before, what about the CDL on your t/cxase, are you going to set it up to be used, what about lockers and HD axles? Have you already rebuilt your front drive shafts CV joints?

Old 09-11-2007 | 10:13 AM
|
Drifting

1. Exhaust - From what I've read the max you can take a Rover is up to 18 inches from what I've read, I may be wrong on this?
2. Lift - I was going to go to an 18inch Tire with the 3inch lift.
3. Off Road - Well it's not so much the wheeling it the off rad backrads I will be on this hunting season I don't what to get stuck I may not have access to any communications.
4. Fuel Cell - 25 gal fuel cell is really not that large when you think about it I just wanted a larger one for peace of mind.
5. How Much Wheeling - Hmm Hard to say I've done a lot to get from point A to B mostly for work I got spoiled in a H1 just can't afford one and I never got stuck in one of those and I tried a lot! :-).
6. Drive Train - I was reading on the lockers and heavy duty CV up front but the HD axles?

Old 09-11-2007 | 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy

I went through water last weekend with my non-lifted D1 and it was over the tires. I changed the oil in my diffs just to be safe since I haven't raised the vent tubes, but it did great. My carpet got soaked, but nothing is wrong with the truck.

I think at 3" you might have to change the brake lines. I know OME is the best setup for an easy 2" lift.

I wouldn't run 18's offroad. Get some 16's and bigger tires. It will ride better, tires will be less expensive, and you will have a better chance of not ripping the sidewall offroad.

People have talked about a larger fuel tank. DOT regs are strict and nobody makes a bigger one. You can get some cans and mount them to the back of you are worried.

If you get lockers, you will want to upgrade your axles. The CV Mike was talking about is on your front driveshaft. It does not have grease fittings and can fail, slapping out your tranny. Also, on your year, you have a transfer case that can be locked in, but the switch is not there. You can either get the linkage from a D1 or add a solenoid. If you are going offroad, you will want this before anything else.

Old 09-11-2007 | 01:15 PM
Mudding

Also, on your year, you have a transfer case that can be locked in, but the switch is not there. You can either get the linkage from a D1 or add a solenoid. If you are going offroad, you will want this before anything else.
This brings up a question I have. Why does MY '04 have the lever to lock the TC, but my buddies MY '03 does not? Mine also has larger roof rails than his. Another difference is his has 6 way power seats for both driver and passenger. Mine does for the driver (6 way), but the passenger doesn't have the lumber support (4 way). I find this all weird...

Old 09-11-2007 | 01:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Can I add the locking feature to my 2003 with just a solonoid?

Old 09-11-2007 | 01:58 PM
Administrator

No, on an 03 you have to change to a locking t/case along with the linkage.

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:00 PM
Administrator

Thomas, lets see if we can point you in the right direction.
Call me and lets talk about what your Disco can do already then look at what you need and whatever you do don't get rid of your 16" wheels and go to 18"s, HUGE mistake.
303-862-7680

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:07 PM
Mudding

whatever you do don't get rid of your 16" wheels and go to 18"s, HUGE mistake.
303-862-7680
But if he wants to make that mistake I am will to swap him. I'll pay for the shipping for both of us too.

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Land Rover did away with the locking T-case in the D2. The figured the traction control would be sufficient. The cases were the same until 01 I think. If you have a D2 before 01, you can mod it to be lockable with linkage. From 01 to 03 no locking feature. You have to get a case from an 04 and swap, or modify an older one to work with all of the sensors. They came back with the lock feature in 04. Really the 04 was the best version of the truck in most people's opinion.

The roof rails got bigger on the 04. I thought the 03 too. I don't know, mine is a LOT older... The seats are just options you didn't get.

Quick Reply: Disco II (2000) Off Road Upgrades