Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II-didn't buy and happy

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II-didn't buy and happy

Hi guys, I checked in here about a month ago when I was looking at a used Discovery II. The huge amount of maintenance was the decideing factor for me.
Anyway I bought a Grand Cherokee instead and saw the Land Rover in a parking lot 2 days ago. It looked like the suspension had colapsed on the drivers side rear. I feel bad for the guy who bought it, but I'm sure glad that it won't be me fixing it.

thanks again guys.
take care.
Glenn In Idaho.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Disco II-didn't buy and happy

COME BACK WHEN THAT GRAND WIMPERKEE BREAKS ON YOU IN THE TRAILS. OH HOLD ONYOU'RE PROBABLY GONNA JACK IT UP AND PUT BIG HUGE OFF-ROAD TIRES TO DRIVE TO AND FROM WORK ALL HIGHWAY MILES. THE ONLY GRAVELIT WILLSEE IS THE STUFF IN YOUR DRIVEWAY. LOL

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No point in flaming someone who made the right choice for himself. The GC is a great vehicle. It just has no personality. That's all !!!

Mike will be the first to disagree, but the SLS is definitely something that Rover should have passed on. Way too unreliable, or should I say unpredictable. Not everybody has the time, or interest of spending time spraying the air lines with soapee water to find why the $%?& the rear suspension is down AGAIN !!! It doesn't matter if you carry all the needed spare parts and you know the system by heart.....That system can let you down in the worst of times, like on a trail !!! You go there to have funoff roading, not to lay down in the dirt while the others keep playing!!! You come out to go to work!!! Not the time!!! ON holidays, hours from home!!! My wife would be very impressed!!!

With this said, that's why I converted to coils. Look on all the forums, and count the number of threads regardingSLS problems. That says a lot about its reliability right there.

But I do however, lift my hat to those who choose to keep it. When all is said and done.....To each his own

Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lar45

Hi guys, I checked in here about a month ago when I was looking at a used Discovery II. The huge amount of maintenance was the decideing factor of me.
Anyway I bought a Grand Cherokee instead and saw the Land Rover in a parking lot 2 days ago. It looked like the suspension had colapsed on the drivers side rear. I feel bad for the guy who bought it, but I'm sure glad that it won't be me fixing it.

thanks again guys.
take care.
Glenn In Idaho.
What was the point of this post? You should have just said you were a dork and liked eating pickles. Makes as much sense....

Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just remember when you are driving that jeep.

Land Rover is the Best 4X4XFAR!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, I checked in here about a month ago when I was looking at a used Discovery II. The huge amount of maintenance was the decideing factor of me.

thanks again guys.
take care.
Glenn In Idaho.
Its hard to find a good Land Rover,, as you saw most
are sold needing work the last owner could not pay or did not want to pay for.
Have fun in your truck,, I believe that its all about off roading and having a good time.
I sure the Jeep-Land Rover thing is just for fun.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

As an owner of both, I think both vehicles have their virtues. The L/R is rugged and totally cool. It's built stout and also very comfortable. Some components are known weaknesses, and parts are harder to find. Other areas may be much more rugged. Some engineering systems on the L/R really make me scratch my head.

However, the G/C is hard to beat as a daily driver for pavement and occasional trail use. Most of the bugs have been worked out and fuel economy is noticably better. Ours has almost 200k miles and no major issues. Our neighbor andtwo customersI deal with also have similar miles on their GC andtheir vehicles look great and they've had the same good luck. And also, I don't think there's any more storage space between the two. Plus, the GC usually has a full luggage rack, vs the 1/2 rack for the Rovers. There is no shortage of off-road kits/support available for the Jeep. So, I say, it comes down to preferences and priorities. I agree that the Jeep isn't as solid as the L/R though.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
6th Gear

No, I just wanted to say thankyou for the honest info on them so I wouldn't be stuck fixing it regularly.
I love to work on cars, fab and build new parts... but with my rear end accident 3 years ago I am very limited on what I can do now.

I had a 71 Early Bronco that I did a pile of work on. I swapped in a SEFI 5.0 from a Cougar, NP-435 4 spd tranny from an F-100, built my own twin stick parts for the x-fer case, Hinged radius arm, 3.5" coils in front,drop shackle in the rear, 35" Ground Hawgs,onboard air, reciever mounted Warn winch, Nissan Pathfinder power steering...
Almost forgot, 4.56 gears, Detroight lockers front and rear and 4wheel disk brakes.
Here are some pics of me in Moab 2002:

I think the Land Rover would be a great rig when it is running and I really wanted to buy it, butttttt with their track record of lots of work and maintenance needed I thought that it would not really be practicle for me to have it and have to rely on it for daily transportation or long road trips.
In 98 I bought a 93 Cherokee with the 4.0 6 cyl and 5 spd. It has a 3" lift and 31x10.50 BFG MTs. I've taken it hunting and 4 wheeling in the moutains and desert as well as long road trips. When I bought it, it had 92k miles and now has 188k. The only major thing that has gone wrong with it is it started jumping out of second gear when slowing down. I took it in for new syncros and it's been fine since then. I haven't had to replace the brakes yet either. When I first bought it, I got new pads, shoes and hardware kits, but when I took the tires and drums off there was pleanty of life left. I've been checking it periodically and it's still fine.
Sure, everybody and their dog has a Cherokee, but reliability has it's own beauty.
And I do like pickles

take care
and thanks again for the info.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Mudding

I had a 71 Early Bronco that I did a pile of work on. I swapped in a SEFI 5.0 from a Cougar, NP-435 4 spd tranny from an F-100, built my own twin stick parts for the x-fer case, Hinged radius arm, drop shackle in the rear, onboard air, reciever mounted Warn winch, Nissan Pathfinder power steering...
Here are some pics of me in Moab 2002:
Out of curiosityness, did you absolutely have to make all of those modifications to that Bronco in order for it to perform the way you wanted it to on the trails? Would it have out performed many of its competitors without those modifications?

Just wondering.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably helped for crawling around on rocks. Fuel injection, increased articulation, lower gearing and power steering.

Quick Reply: Disco II-didn't buy and happy