Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II ECU Lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II ECU Lockout?

My 2000 disco II wouldn't start after I pulled into my office and all the lights on dashboard came on. It now only clicks sometimes when I turn the key. My shop said the ecu would not let their diagnostic computer connect. Does that simply mean there is no codes to pull or that my ecu needs to be reset? How do I reset if needed? Also they claim there is no power going to the starter. Suggestions?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Disco II ECU Lockout?

If the check engine light is/was not on then there wont be any codes for them to read.
Your mechanic should know that.
Typically when you turn the key and there is only a click(ing) sound that means that your battery is dead, recharge the battery and all is good. You would then need to find out why it went dead.
A dead battery would not send power to the starter.
I think that I would find a new shop. The first thing they should have checked was the battery voltage.
Have them check the battery and see what they say.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Overlanding

I personally went over there and tried to jump the battery myself- did not start. The mechanic supposedly has worked on Land Rovers for 10 years. He thinks that the ecu has locked him out. They also said that there was no power going to the starter. Before it quit completely it would click for two or more turns of the key and then fire up slowly. I hope this sheds some more light.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Team Owner

I dont understand why he is trying to get into the ECU, it wont tell him anything.
It will store fault codes but there are no fault codes for a bad starter.
I dont like this guy, he is to focused on the ECU. Instead of fixing the no start problem he is wasting your time and money on trying to read the ECU.
He needs to trace the no power to the starter issue.
I do not know if the alarm computer is what sends power to the starter or not.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Sometimes when I hit the unlock on my remote the doors unlock but the security system is still on, the red light is still flashing. And the engine will not start until I hit the unlock button again, then the red light goes off. Maybe you are having the same thing happen to yours.

Willie

Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Remove thye battery, have it tested and get a 2 hour charge on it. Clean all your cables and reinstall, then see what happens.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Overlanding

If I do all of this and it doesn't start then, what is the problem? They say there si a theft detterent that activated. Can a dealership other than Land Rover deactivate the theft system?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your alarm has nothing to do with your issue. Start with the voltage, clean and tighten the cable and make sure your battery has a good charge.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Overlanding

I cleaned my battery cables, tested the battery, battery was good. Still no start. I am out of ideas. The said there was no power going to the battery so it must be a switch somewhere that is not activating. I swapped out the relay switches already. I have read about a "Spider" something in older models that sometimes need to be replaced. My alarm system light is not flashing either. Give me some more stuff to check and I will gladly do. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

Ok, now I am getting as confused as you.
They said that there is no power going to the battery? Did they mean coming from the battery?

Quick Reply: Disco II ECU Lockout?