Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Disco II fan exploded -- need some help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/disco-ii-fan-exploded-need-some-help-68530/)

drowssap 08-07-2014 06:38 AM

contact paulgrant@mac.com he will have all the ducting for the map that was broken along with the fan,shroud, air box lid he would probably cut the connector your looking for from one of the trucks heading to the crusher

potxoli 08-07-2014 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 476155)
contact paulgrant@mac.com he will have all the ducting for the map that was broken along with the fan,shroud, air box lid he would probably cut the connector your looking for from one of the trucks heading to the crusher

yep paul is a good bet for these. Honestly the damage is not too bad. Assuming the engine cranks fine, I should be back on the road in no time.

drowssap 08-07-2014 07:05 AM

you should borrow a pressure tester and use it before even starting it up. also look for other sliced or cut wires, i'm sure those plastic shards blew everywhere.

what was the cause I assume a failed water pump bearing but that was not the case.

potxoli 08-07-2014 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I spoke too soon about the radiator I think. I'm at work, so I can't double check, but while I was looking at hose diagrams online, I realize that nipple on top of the radiator for the hose that comes from the expansion tank is gone. The hose is there, the connector is severed. I'm guessing it snapped off. See pic below. No way to repair right?

potxoli 08-07-2014 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 476162)
you should borrow a pressure tester and use it before even starting it up. also look for other sliced or cut wires, i'm sure those plastic shards blew everwhere

Pressure tester to test what? the coolant system? Since the oil filter got sliced open and drained the oil out of there, my first step is to replace the oil and filter and start up for less than a minute to make sure the engine still runs. This is with the cooling hoses disconnected. If the engine still runs, then I plan to order all the broken bits to fix. If my son drove it for longer without oil pressure and the engine seized, I think I'm going to scrap the car. Make sense?

potxoli 08-07-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 476162)
what was the cause I assume a failed water pump bearing but that was not the case.

My leading theory is that my son rev-ed to redline (he admitted to this), the pressure in the hoses caused one of them to pop off and hit the fan while it was running. 90+ degrees in MA when this happened.

drowssap 08-07-2014 07:28 AM

to test your radiator, but i see you just found that to be junk also

Jared9220 08-07-2014 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by potxoli (Post 476165)
Pressure tester to test what? the coolant system? Since the oil filter got sliced open and drained the oil out of there, my first step is to replace the oil and filter and start up for less than a minute to make sure the engine still runs. This is with the cooling hoses disconnected. If the engine still runs, then I plan to order all the broken bits to fix. If my son drove it for longer without oil pressure and the engine seized, I think I'm going to scrap the car. Make sense?

This sounds like a good plan. Are you just going to listen to the engine for a knock?

An oil pressure gauge hooked up might help show you the health of the engine. The PSI numbers will be higher than normal at cold start but if there is very low pressure you should still be able to tell.

Jared9220 08-07-2014 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by potxoli (Post 476163)
Well I spoke too soon about the radiator I think. I'm at work, so I can't double check, but while I was looking at hose diagrams online, I realize that nipple on top of the radiator for the hose that comes from the expansion tank is gone. The hose is there, the connector is severed. I'm guessing it snapped off. See pic below. No way to repair right?

Sorry man but the radiator is toast also.

This is why I added the radiator to the parts list. You would have been one lucky person to have the fan explode like that and the radiator not get hit with shrapnel. The good news it that you should not need to replace anything cooling related for a long time.

RicketyTick 08-07-2014 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by potxoli (Post 476166)
My leading theory is that my son rev-ed to redline (he admitted to this), the pressure in the hoses caused one of them to pop off and hit the fan while it was running. 90+ degrees in MA when this happened.

you could be right, but if you have a broken motor mount and the engine was floored it could have moved upward on one side and allowed the fan to make contact.

just a guess but, I would check them for sure. only takes a few minutes to check and if they are broken same thing could happen again.

and if the water pump shaft has absolutely no play with the belt off (you will have to have the belt off to check it for play) then I personally don't know why you would need to change it other than the fact that, if changed, you would have an all new cooling system.

(no disrespect to you or your son but, when I was a chap I would do nascar victory lane burnouts in my pops 60's corvettes so, unless teenagers have changed...?)