Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Waterfall sound under glovebox NO HEAT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disco II Waterfall sound under glovebox NO HEAT

If you actually read the "problems" that consumer reports gets for reliability you would laugh. Did you know that wind noise is the number one complaint from consumer reports, and that lowers a cars reliability score. Also landrovers are lowest in reliability not because of engine or transmission but due to other things like wind noise and power windows.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That is very interesting, people complain because a brick going down the highway at 70MPH sounds like a brick going down the highway at 70MPH.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So 2 thoughts, if it is the pump, there is a warranty on it, when it was replaced, there is a good chance they didn't bleed all the air from the system, do you know how to bleed it?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

are the waterfall and sloshing around sounds the same thing. I posted on another thread but will post here as well. 2003 disco, blowing cold air - checked coolant- no coolant - filled coolant, no leak.But i hear a sloshing water sound under the dash.Is it possible the coolant is leaking to within the car, if so from where to where ?

Any insight would be very valuable. thx

Old 12-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You may have added coolant, but you failed to bleed the air from the system so there is air there still, and you still have a chance of the engine overheating. Also, if there was no coolant in the bottle, you do have a coolant leak and a pressure test is needed.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok so cooling system was properly bled....no more sloshing/waterfallsound from in back of the glovebox..... .still only getting heat when car is moving...for about 1 week. Now I am getting no heat anytime other than slight warm air after the car drives for 20min.

I am not losing fluid at all. Could it be a vacuum leak and if so where might it be located and how do I repair?

Begging for help...

Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Mudding

not an expert on the disco at all. I've owned mine for three days. But general knowledge and the work I have done on my defender and various other stuff tells me to check the plumbing routing if things are bled correctly. You should be getting flow regardless. The fact that you are getting flow while moving shows that the thermostat is good. Did the people get into anything else that worked on it last?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Had the entire cooling systemflushed and checked for leaks....none were found. New waterpump, thermostat,head gasket, etc done 4k ago. ...one possibility...Before I had the headgasket replaced i added some "Blue Devil" head gasket sealer to see if I might be able to stop the original head gasket leak. Could that have clogged something in the heater pipes or somewhere else? Since the heat did work intermittently after the new head gasket was replaced, I originally ruled out the sealer causing the problem.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Replace the thermostat, it is stuck open and the engine cannot warm up enough.
What is your MPG right now? 4?
Low engine temps will lower MPG bigtime.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Overlanding

Hi, new to the forums. I started having the same issue a few weeks ago. The heat wouldn't really kick in until I got the car running over 2k rpms consistently. If I stop at a light it starts blowing cold air again. One time it started to overheat, but it hasn't happened since. Same thing happened a little over a year ago, but it was overheating all the time. I had a local place fix it, but I guess not so well. I've had this truck for 3 years and just learned of an independent that works only on jags and rovers, so I'm hoping he'll have a better understanding of the problem.

Until reading this thread I didn't realize there was a possible relationship between the heat and the water sounds coming from the dash area of my vehicle. This has been going on for a while. I thought rain may have been leaking in somewhere.

Also, during the summer when I have the air conditioning going for a bit. Water will start to leak in to the cabin via the floor vents. Is this related a related issue?

Quick Reply: Disco II Waterfall sound under glovebox NO HEAT